State of the Union 2007
The official Democratic response was delivered by Sen. Jim Webb (D-Va.). The official Democratic response was delivered in Spanish by Rep. Xavier Becerra (D-Calif.), who is assistant to the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).
- State of the Union 2007, WhiteHouse.gov.
- News Release: "President Bush Delivers State of the Union Address," United States Capitol, Washington, D.C., January 23, 2007.
- "2007 State of the Union Policy Initiatives," January 23, 2007.
2007 SOTU Policy Initiatives
The 2007 SOTU Policy Initiatives proposed by President Bush include the following. Also see 2007 SOTU Policy Initiatives Fact Sheet.
- Energy: "Twenty In Ten: Strengthening America's Energy Security"; "Energy Security for the 21st Century".
- Education: "Building On Results: A Blueprint For Strengthening NCLB" / No Child Left Behind "In Focus".
- Immigration: "President Bush's Plan For Comprehensive Immigration Reform"; "Comprehensive Immigration Reform".
- Malaria: "The President's Malaria Initiative Is Saving Lives"; White House Summit on Malaria, December 2006.
Democratic Rebuttal to SOTU Address
The full text of the Democratic Party rebuttal to the SOTU address delivered January 23, 2007, by Sen. Jim Webb (D-Va.) can be found at the following websites. Also see video links at Crooks and Liars website.
Also see "Pelosi and Reid: We Should Work Together to Take America in a New Direction," Washington, D.C., January 23, 2007: "Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Speaker Nancy Pelosi today released the following statement on President Bush’s State of the Union Address."
Articles & Commentary
- Searchable Database: "The 2007 State of the Union Address. The words that were used," New York Times, January 23, 2007.
- "State of the Union Guest List," Associated Press (Seattle Post-Intelligencer), January 23, 2007.
- "State of the Union Address Quotes," Associated Press (Washington Post), January 23, 2007: "Reaction to President Bush's State of the Union address".
- Susan Milligan and Rick Klein, "President urges unity on Iraq. State of Union address offers healthcare, energy plans," Boston Globe, January 23, 2007.
- David Lawder, "Bush health plan to cost $30-40 billion a year," Reuters, January 23, 2007.
- Jonathan Alter, "A Powerful Response. Jim Webb tore up his party's playbook—and helped point the Democrats in a new direction," Newsweek (MSNBC), January 23, 2007 (updated from January 21, 2007).
- Ari Berman, "Webb to Bush: 'We will be showing him the way'," The Notion Blog/The Nation, January 23, 2007.
- Laurie Kellman, "Democrats to Bush: You're no longer solely in charge," Associated Press (Chicago Sun-Times); ABC News, January 23, 2007.
- "State of the Union: Readers' views," BBC, January 24, 2007.
- Editorial: "The State of the Union," New York Times, January 24, 2007: "Mr. Bush promised bipartisanship after his re-election in 2004, and again after Hurricane Katrina. Always, he failed to deliver. He did not even mention New Orleans last night."
- Howard Fineman, "Sticking to his guns. President Bush defiantly defends his Iraq stance," MSNBC, January 24, 2007.
- "Democrats aren't buying Bush Iraq policy. Despite domestic proposals State of the Union reaction primarily on war," MSNBC, January 24, 2007.
- Glenn Kessler, "President's Portrayal of 'The Enemy' Often Flawed," Washington Post, January 24, 2007.
- Jim Kuhnhenn, "Democrats Put the Burden of Iraq on Bush," Associated Press (Forbes), January 24, 2007.
- Michael D. Shear, "Va.'s Webb Offers a Blunt Challenge to Bush. Va. Senator Urges Change in Direction for Economy, Iraq War," Washington Post, January 24, 2007.
- Noam N. Levey, "Democrat says Bush 'recklessly' waged war. Sen. Jim Webb delivers the rebuke in his party's State of the Union response, also focusing on kitchen-table issues," Los Angeles Times, January 24, 2007.
- Deborah Tate, "Key Democrat Calls For New Direction in Iraq," Voice of America News, January 24, 2007.
- Chris Baltimore and Tom Doggett, "Bush wants to double U.S. emergency oil stockpile," Reuters, January 24, 2007.
- Ewan MacAskill, "Home-grown crops the answer to our addiction to oil, Bush tells Americans. President outlines plans to cut petrol consumption. Ethanol and other biofuels central to energy initiative," The Guardian (UK), January 24, 2007.
- Nancy Zuckerbrod, "Bush Reintroduces School Voucher Plan," Associated Press (The Guardian (UK)), January 24, 2007.
- Julie Appleby, "Bush unveils health plan tied to tax deduction," USA TODAY, January 24, 2007.
- Jonathan Cohn, "Dead on Arrival. Bush's health care plan is already behind the times," The New Republic Online, January 24, 2007.
- A. Alexander, "Bush's State of the Delusion and Jim Webb's True State of our Union," Progressive Daily Beacon, January 24, 2007.
- Opinion: "State of Bush not State of the Union," Gulf News, January 25, 2007.
- Michael Franc, "State of the Union 2007: High Points and Low," Heritage Foundation, January 25, 2007.
- David Swanson, "Bush's Four Anti-Terror Successes All Fictional," After Downing Street, January 27, 2007.
- Brain Braiker, "A Sorry State. Following his State of the Union address, President Bush’s approval rating hits a new low in the NEWSWEEK poll, as Sen. Hillary Clinton enjoys an early lead among the field of likely candidates in the ’08 race," Newsweek (MSNBC), January 27, 2007.
- Gaby Hinsliff, Juliette Jowit and Paul Harris, "Bush set for climate change U-turn. Downing Street says that belated US recognition of global warming could lead to a post-Kyoto agreement on curbing emissions," The Observer (UK), January 14, 2007.
- Lori Montgomery and Nell Henderson, "Burden Set to Shift On Balanced Budget. Bush Likely to Force Democrats' Hand," Washington Post, January 16, 2007: "Bush will list among his goals a balanced federal budget, a shift for a president who has presided over record deficits while aggressively cutting taxes."
- Christian Bourge, "Majority leader says budget plan will test GOP commitment," Congress Daily (GovExec.com), January 16, 2007: "President Bush is expected to make balancing the budget a main theme of his State of the Union address next Tuesday and the House GOP leadership has been talking fiscal conservatism since moving into the minority this month."
- Caren Bohan, "Bush to outline global warming policy in State of Union," Reuters (Boston Globe), January 17, 2007.
- Nathan Burchfiel, "House Oil Bill Called 'First Step' in Energy Policy Shifts," Cybercast News Service, January 17, 2007.
- Anne Flaherty, "Senators Agree on Iraq War Resolution," Helena Independent Record, January 17, 2007: "The Senate leadership is expected by Thursday to propose the resolution, with debate planned around the same time that Bush delivers his State of the Union speech next Tuesday."
- "Threats to U.S. security growing: claim," UPI, January 17, 2007: In a new report, the Center for American Progress said: "Rather than embrace the need for a phased redeployment from Iraq, Bush will use the State of the Union to dig in his heels and sell an escalation plan that elicits fears that 2007 could simply be more of the same."
- Zionista, "The Democracy Czar," TPMCafe Blog, January 17, 2007.
- Deb Reichmann, "Bush Getting 2nd Chance to Defend Plan," Associated Press (Forbes), January 20, 2007.
- Sheryl Gay Stolberg and Robert Pear, "Bush to Urge New Tax Plan for Health Care Coverage," New York Times, January 21, 2007.
- Steve Holland, "Bush speech to argue for Iraq, domestic plans," Reuters (Washington Post), January 21, 2007.
- "Tony Snow Previews 'State of Union' Speech -- And Says Iraq May Not Be Most Important Issue Facing U.S.," Editor & Publisher, January 22, 2007.
- "Millions could see taxes up in Bush health plan," Reuters, January 22, 2007.
- Nicholas von Hoffman, "State of the President," The Nation, January 22, 2007.
- Megan Ballinger, "State of the Union. From Rostrum to Reality: How Past Pledges Played Out," Wall Street Journal Online, January 23, 2007.
- Steve Holland, "Bush to defend Iraq plan," Reuters, January 23, 2007.
- Peter Baker and Jon Cohen, "Bush To Face Skeptical Congress. Iraq Overshadows Domestic Outreach," Washington Post, January 23, 2007.
- Jennifer Loven, "Bush Speech to Showcase Domestic Issues. Bush expected to offer old, new ideas on domestic issues while defending Iraq plan," Associated Press (CBS News), January 23, 2007.
- Kevin Freking, "Bush Insurance Plan Gets Cold Reception," Associated Press (FOX News), January 23, 2007.
- "Bush to Propose Cutting Gasoline Consumption by 20 Percent," Bloomberg, January 23, 2007.
- "Al-Qaida's faction in Iraq considered attack inside U.S.," Los Angeles Times (Baltimore Sun), January 23, 2007.
- Alexandra Zavis and Greg Miller, "Scant evidence found of Iran-Iraq arms link. U.S. warnings of advanced weaponry crossing the border are overstated, critics say," Los Angeles Times, January 23, 2007.
- "600 Al-Sadr Fighters Captured in Iraq with Key Militant Leaders," Associated Press (FOX News), January 23, 2007.
- Sidney Blumenthal, "State of indifference. Unlike past presidents dealing with the consequences of war, Bush has walled himself off from the public and the Congress it elected," Salon, January 23, 2007.
- Dan Froomkin, "Trying to Change the Subject," Washington Post, January 23, 2007.
- 2007 State of the Union address in the Wikipedia.
- "State of the Union address set for Jan. 23," CNN, December 22, 2006.
- Greg Giroux, "Webb Tapped for Democrats’ State of the Union Response," New York Times, January 16, 2007.
- "Becerra to Deliver the Democratic Response to the President's State of the Union Address in Spanish," Senate Democratic Communications Center via PRNewswire, January 16, 2007.
- Jon Stewart, "The Daily Show on SoTU 2007," Crooks and Liars, January 25, 2007.
Related SourceWatch Resources
- Bob Ney
- Congressional Bribery and a DC Sex Scandal
- Dick Cheney's Hunting Accident
- extraordinary rendition / global detention system
- Feingold resolution for the censure of George W. Bush
- George W. Bush and Jack Abramoff
- Mark Foley page scandal
- presidential signing statements
- Saddam Hussein (the hanging)
- Thomas D. DeLay
- Unitary Executive Theory
- illegal immigration / immigration reform
- State of the Union 2003
- State of the Union 2004
- State of the Union 2005
- State of the Union 2006
- U.S. budget deficit
- U.S. congressional elections in 2006
- U.S. economy
- U.S. National Debt
- U.S. Social Security
- U.S. tax cuts
- U.S. unemployment