Susan Arceneaux, a resident of Fairfax, Virginia, is a well-connected member of the Republican Party: Arceneaux is a "long time aide of Dick Armey, a former Congressman from Texas and a close friend of Bush Jr. Arceneaux also is tied in with a number of other Republican groups close to Bush Jr. NY Times 8/24/04)." 
Her known roles, both past and present, include the following:
- Administrative contact for Political Compliance Services Inc., according to its WHOIS database entry . Note that her involvement with PCS is not given anywhere on its website.
- Treasurer of the Majority Leader's Fund 
- A listed contact for FreedomWorks 
- The custodian of records for David Horowitz's defunct 527 committee, PoliticalWar.com Inc.  
- A contributor to the New Birth of Freedom PAC, according to IRS records posted by Center for Public Integrity
- An employee of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. Arceneaux helped to set it up, and is given as the contact person on its post office box. 
- "The group described Ms. Arceneaux's role, also, as 'compliance.' ... Records also list Ms. Arceneaux as treasurer of the Majority Leader's Fund, a political action committee affiliated with the former House majority leader, Dick Armey of Texas, which like the Swift Boat Veterans received significant financing from Bob Perry, a Texan who has long supported Mr. Bush." 
Arceneaux's involvement in SBVT did not become known until late August 2004, at the height of the controversy generated by the group's attack on presidential candidate John Kerry.
Related SourceWatch Resources
- John Kerry
- Political Compliance Services Inc.
- Swift Boat Veterans for Truth
- Swift Boat Veterans for Truth/Funding
- Swift Boat Veterans for Truth/Membership
- Swift Boat Veterans for Truth/Researchers
- Profile: Susan Arceneaux, Fairness.com.
Articles & Commentary
- Elisabeth Bumiller and Kate Zernike, "President Urges Outside Groups to Halt All Ads," The New York Times (USA Election 2004), August 24, 2004 (or registration-free mirror).
- tacitus, "How things work," Red State, August 24, 2004.
- Jim Rutenberg and Kate Zernike, "Bush Campaign's Top Outside Lawyer Advised Veterans Group," New York Times, August 25, 2004.
- "As evidence mounts of GOP connection to anti-Kerry Swift Boat Vets, Hume and Dole deny the obvious," Media Matters for America, August 26, 2004.
- Joe Conason, Opinion: "Sailing buddies. A flotilla of new reports shows that the Swift Boat Veterans group is helmed by longtime cronies of the Bush family," Salon, August 28, 2004.
- Tom Infield and Meg Laughlin, "Swift boat group has morphed into a political machine. The anti-John Kerry veterans have raised millions and used a network of GOP-affiliated consultants," Philadelphia Inquirer, September 12, 2004.