Target Corporation is a large U.S. department store chain with stores in 47 states, along with an online presence. The SuperTarget branded stores also carry groceries. Target opened its first store in Minnesota, U.S., in 1962. It now has a store in India and is working on opening two more in that country. In 2006, it had total sales of $59.5 billion with profits of $2.8 billion.  
On July 6, 2010, Target donated $150,000 to the Minnesota Forward PAC, which supports Republican candidates. The PAC then ran an ad supporting Tom Emmer, a Minnesota gubernatorial candidate who is also an outspoken opponent of gay marriage. In 2007, Emmer authored a constitutional amendment to prohibit same-sex marriage and civil unions. He has also tried to change the language of bills so that same-sex couples cannot benefit from them, for example in a bill to create standards for surrogate motherhood, he sought to replace the word "parents" with "mother and father."
|Key executives and 2006 pay: ||Options
|Robert J. Ulrich, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer||N/A||N/A|
|Gregg W. Steinhafel, President||N/A||N/A|
|Douglas A. Scovanner, Chief Financial Officer||$1,640,000||$1,490,000|
|Michael Francis, Executive Vice President of Marketing||$1,220,000||$0|
|John D. Griffith, Executive Vice President of Property Development||$1,060,000||$640,000|
Selected members of the Board of Directors: 
- James A. Johnson, Also Vice Chairman, Perseus LLC
- Richard M. Kovacevich, Also Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Wells Fargo & Co.
- Stephen W. Sanger, Also Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, General Mills, Inc.
1000 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis, MN 55403
- Target Profile, Hoovers, accessed September 2007.
- Fast facts, Target, accessed September 2007.
- 2006 PAC Summary Data, Open Secrets, accessed September 2007.
- Ira Boudway Target's Off-Target Campaign Contribution, BusinessWeek, August 5, 2010
- Paul Schmelzer Report: Target to donate $150,000 to pro-gay rights candidates, Minnesota Independent, August 10, 2010
- Andy Birkey Gubernatorial candidates support gay marriage — with one exception: GOP's Emmer is lone standout in opposing LGBT equality Minnesota Independent, August 10, 2010
- Target lobbying expenses, Open Secrets, accessed September 2007.
- Target Key Executives, Yahoo Finance, accessed September 2007.
- Board of Directors, Target, accessed September 2007.