The Libre Initiative
The Libre Initiative is a conservative non-profit 501(c) 4 organization targeting Latino voters. According to the group's website, "LIBRE’s mission is to increase economic freedom and prosperity by promoting free enterprise, responsibility and a more constitutionally limited government." The Libre Initiative was launched by the group's current executive director Daniel Garza, a former White House staffer under George W. Bush.
The Koch Brothers are the conservative billionaire co-owners of Koch Industries. As two of the richest people in the world, they are key funders of the right-wing infrastructure, including the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) and the State Policy Network (SPN). In SourceWatch, key articles on the Kochs include: Koch Brothers, Koch Industries, Americans for Prosperity, American Encore, and Freedom Partners.
Ties to the Koch Brothers
When fundraising for The Libre Initiative in 2011, the group's CEO Daniel Garza told iWatch News that he had approached "representatives of the Koch family". Although Garza did not confirm that the organization recieved funds from the Koch brothers, as reported by the Center for Public Integrity at the time of fundraising, "Two GOP operatives familiar with the initiative say Garza told them he has already secured commitments for about $1 million — including funds from Koch family interests." The New York Times reports that in 2013, the Koch network is expected to expand financing for the Libre Initiative.
- Daniel Garza - Executive Director
- Andeliz Castillo - Chief of Staff
- Jose Mallea - National Coordinator
- John Méndez - Northwest Regional Director
- Michael L. Barrera - Western Regional Director
- Judy Pino - Communication Director
- Mario J. Biovides - South Florida Coordinator
- Pablo Pantoja - North Florida Coordinator
The Libre Initiative
3805 Plantation Grove Blvd. Suite #51
Mission, TX 78572
Phone: (956) 519-4200
- Peter H. Stone, New Koch Brothers Group Revamps Billionaires' Dark Money Operation, Huffington Post, April 26, 2013.
- Peter H. Stone, New GOP campaign is aimed at Hispanics, The Center for Public Integrity, September 22, 2011.
- Nicholas Confessore, Koch Brothers Plan More Political Involvement for Their Conservative Network, New York Times, April 30, 2013.