Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy
The Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy (TJI) is a state-based think tank in Virginia "dealing with the issues of improving education, government reform, economic development and environmental stewardship." The Institute states as its mission "to provide Virginia's political, business, academic, community and media leadership with thoughtful, realistic, useful and non-partisan analysis of public policy issues confronting our Commonwealth.". Its "alternative policy ideas focus on state and local issues and are based on the Institute's belief in free markets, limited government and individual responsibility," according to the organization's website.
- 1 News and Controversies
- 2 Ties to the Koch Brothers
- 3 Funding
- 4 Core Financials
- 5 Personnel
- 6 Contact Details
- 7 Articles and Resources
News and Controversies
TJI's Director of the Center for Environmental Stewardship Named to President-elect Trump's EPA Transition Team
David Schnare, director of the Center for Environmental Stewardship at the Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy, has been tapped to serve on President-elect Trump's Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) team. Schnare is also the director of Free Market Environmental Law Clinic (FMELC), general counsel at the Energy and Environment Legal Institute (EELI). Schnare is a climate change denier and is well-known among climate scientists for his intimidation campaigns.
TJIPP Called Out for Blocking Action on Climate Change
In July of 2016, nineteen U.S. Senators delivered a series of speeches denouncing climate change denial from 32 organizations with links to fossil-fuel interests, including the Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy. Sen. Whitehouse (RI-D), who led the effort to expose "the web of denial" said in his remarks on the floor that the purpose was to,
- "shine a little light on the web of climate denial and spotlight the bad actors in the web, who are polluting our American discourse with phony climate denial. This web of denial, formed over decades, has been built and provisioned by the deep-pocketed Koch brothers, by ExxonMobil, by Peabody coal, and by other fossil fuel interests. It is a grim shadow over our democracy in that it includes an electioneering effort that spends hundreds of millions of dollars in a single election cycle and threatens any Republican who steps up to address the global threat of climate change. . . . [I]t is long past time we shed some light on the perpetrators of this web of denial and expose their filthy grip on our political process. It is a disgrace, and our grandchildren will look back at this as a dirty time in America’s political history because of their work.”
The Koch brothers -- David and Charles -- are the right-wing billionaire co-owners of Koch Industries. As two of the richest people in the world, they are key funders of the right-wing infrastructure, including the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) and the State Policy Network (SPN). In SourceWatch, key articles on the Kochs include: Koch Brothers, Koch Industries, Americans for Prosperity, American Encore, and Freedom Partners.
Ties to the Koch Brothers
TJI has ties to the Koch brothers. The organization has received funding from DonorsTrust and Donors Capital Fund. TJI also received funding from the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation. (See below.)
The Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy is not required to disclose its funders. Its major foundation funders, however, can be found through a search of the IRS filings. Here are some of the known funders:
- Charles G. Koch Foundation: $2,500
- Chase Foundation of Virginia: $48,770 (2001-2012)
- Donors Capital Fund: $214,450 (2007-2010)
- DonorsTrust: $5,000 (2009-2010)
- Friedman Foundation for Educational Choice: $31,100 (2005, 2010, 2012)
- Jaquelin Hume Foundation: $295,000 (2001-2012)
- JM Foundation: $110,000 (1998, 2001, 2004, 2008-2009, 2012)
- Neal and Jane Freeman Foundation: $20,000 (2002-2003)
- NFIB Research Foundation: $20,000 (2011-2012)
- PhRMA: $7,500 (2010)
- The Roe Foundation: $183,000 (1998-2012)
- William E. Simon Foundation: $1,000 (2002)
- Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation: $150,000 (2013-2015)
- State Policy Network: $87,200 (2002, 2007, 2011, 2014)
- Total Revenue: $240,331
- Total Expenses: $267,750
- Net Assets: $15,320
- Total Revenue: $269,944
- Total Expenses: $239,348
- Net Assets: $45,279
- Total Revenue: $315,473
- Total Expenses: $272,805
- Net Assets: $26,376
- Total Revenue: $279,151
- Total Expenses: $286,741
- Net Assets: -$18,304
- Total Revenue: $259,018
- Total Expenses: $277,803
- Net Assets: $32,094
- Total Revenue: $306,376.00
- Total Expenses: $298,312.00
- Net Assets: $50,869.00
- Total Revenue: $224,363.00
- Total Expenses: $266,545.00
- Net Assets: $42,815.00
As of January 2017:
- Michael W. Thompson, Chairman and President
- Christian N. Braunlich, vice president (also Assistant Vice President of Public Affairs for the National Association of Manufacturers, president of the Alexis de Tocqueville Institution, and vice president of the Center for Education Reform)
- Leonard Gilroy, Senior Fellow on Government Reform (Director of Government Reform at Reason Foundation)
- David Schnare, Director of TJI's Center for Environmental Stewardship (also American Tradition Institute attorney)
As of January 2017:
- Michael W. Thompson, Chairman and President
- Randal C. Teague, Secretary, Treasurer and Counsel
- John Alderson
- William W. Beach
- James Beamer
- W. Stephen Cannon
- Stephan Q. Cassaday
- Rebecca Donatelli
- James W. Dyke, Jr
- John Hager
- Robert v. L. Hartwell
- Alan I. Kirshner
- Joseph Ragan
- John Rust
- John G. Ryan
- Robert W. Shinn
- Dr. Robert F. Turner
- Keith Fulton
- Jay Poole
- Mr. Todd A. Stottlemyer
- Robert W. Woltz, Jr.
Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy
9035 Golden Sunset Lane
Springfield, VA 22153
Phone: (703) 440 9447
Fax: (703) 455 1531
Articles and Resources
Related SourceWatch Articles
- State Policy Network:
- American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)
- Donors Capital Fund
- Koch Family Foundations
- Koch Industries
- Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity
- Heritage Foundation
- Think tanks
- Whitney Ball
- Adam Meyerson
- Bridgett Wagner
- Randal C. Teague
- David W. Schnare of American Tradition Institute
Related PRWatch Articles
- Brendan Fischer, Why Are the Franklin Center's "Wisconsin Reporter" and "Watchdog.org" Attacking the John Doe?, PRWatch.org, December 19, 2013.
- Rebekah Wilce, The State Policy Network's Cozy Relationship with Big Tobacco, PRWatch.org, December 16, 2013.
- Rebekah Wilce, Did ALEC Found SPN? 1991 Report Suggests So, Exposes SPN Agenda, PRWatch.org, December 12, 2013.
- Rebekah Wilce, Guardian Documents Expose State Policy Network Groups' Intent to Lobby, PRWatch.org, December 5, 2013.
- Rebekah Wilce, State Policy Network: The Stealth Network Dramatically Influencing State Law, PRWatch.org, December 5, 2013.
- Rebekah Wilce, Tracie Sharp: Bursar of Mystery Money and "IKEA Model" Materials to Stink Tanks, PRWatch.org, November 19, 2013.
- Center for Media and Democracy, Reports Expose Extreme Pressure Groups Masquerading as Think Tanks, press release, November 13, 2013.
- Rebekah Wilce, A Reporters’ Guide to the "State Policy Network": the Right-Wing Think Tanks Spinning Disinformation and Pushing the ALEC Agenda in the States, PRWatch.org, April 4, 2013.
- Sara Jerving, ALEC and Heartland Aim to Crush Renewable Energy Standards in the States, PRWatch.org, November 27, 2012.
- Connor Gibson, Meet the Network Hiding the Koch Money: "Donors Trust" and "Donors Capital Fund", PRWatch.org, October 29, 2012.
- Brendan Fischer, Koch-Funded Mackinac Center Brings Wisconsin Act 10 Provisions to ALEC, PRWatch.org, May 2, 2012.
- Sara Jerving, Franklin Center: Right-Wing Funds State News Source, PRWatch.org, October 31, 2011.
- DeSmog Blog, Stink Tanks: Historical Records Reveal State Policy Network Was Created by ALEC, December 9, 2013.
- The Guardian, State conservative groups plan US-wide assault on education, health and tax, December 5, 2013.
- Portland Press Herald, "Washington County residents have mixed reactions to plan to eliminate taxes," December 5, 2013.
- The Texas Observer, "The Money Behind the Fight to Undermine Medicaid," December 5, 2013.
- Media Matters, North Carolina Newspapers Largely Ignore Conservative Funding Of Sham Think Tanks, December 3, 2013.
- Shepherd Express, Masters of Manipulation: Right-wing Billionaires, Corporations and the Bradley Foundation Pay for Junk Studies that Prop up Their Agenda, November 27, 2013.
- "Moyers & Company," How a Shadowy Network of Corporate Front Groups Distorts the Marketplace of Ideas, November 19, 2013.
- MSNBC "Rachel Maddow Show," November 18, 2013.
- Free Speech TV "Ring of Fire," Facebook, Microsoft, AT&T and Others Supporting Right Wing Propaganda Machine, November 18, 2013.
- Topeka Capital-Journal, Trabert dismisses report tying KPI to Koch agenda, November 16, 2013.
- The New Yorker (Jane Mayer), Is IKEA the New Model for the Conservative Movement?, November 15, 2013.
- Salon, Ted Cruz and Koch brothers embroiled in shadowy Tea Party scheme, November 15, 2013.
- St. Louis Business Journal, Beyond Sinquefield: Who else is funding the Show-Me Institute?, November 15, 2013.
- The Guardian, Facebook and Microsoft help fund rightwing lobby network, report finds, November 14, 2013.
- Huffington Post, Meet The Little-Known Network Pushing Ideas For Kochs, ALEC, November 14, 2013.
- CBS St. Louis, Show-Me Institute’s Ties Questioned in New Report, November 14, 2013.
- Talking Points Memo, Florida Conservative Group Helping Muck Up Obamacare In Alaska, November 14, 2013.
- Mint Press News, Reports Reveal SPN’s Secret Corporate Agenda Through Use ‘Expert’ Testimony, November 14, 2013.
- Media Matters, Shadowy Right-Wing Group Generates Media Coverage For Conservative Policy From Coast To Coast, November 14, 2013.
- The Institute for Southern Studies, Are conservative think tanks breaking lobbying laws?, November 14, 2013.
- Nonprofit Quarterly, Corporate Money in Network of Right-Wing State Policy Think Tanks, November 14, 2013.
- The Progressive, Right-Wing Think Tanks Push Privatization in the States, November 13, 2013.
- Politico, Report: Think tanks tied to Kochs, November 13, 2013.
- Lawrence Journal-World, Reports released by progressive groups are critical of Kansas Policy Institute, November 13, 2013.
- Maine Insights, Report: Maine Heritage Policy Center’s funding connection to Koch Brothers, November 13, 2013.
- The Florida Current, Liberal groups bemoan lobbying by conservative think tanks, November 13, 2013.
- The Oregonian, Cascade Policy Institute benefits from secretive donor group but says it operates independently, November 13, 2013.
- Center for Media and Democracy, EXPOSED: The State Policy Network, The Powerful Right-Wing Network Helping to Hijack State Politics and Government, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Arizona Working Families and CMD, A Reporter’s Guide to the Goldwater Institute: What Citizens, Policymakers, and Reporters Should Know, organizational report, updated November 13, 2013.
- Progress Florida and CMD, Lawmaking Under the Influence of Very Special Interests: Understand the role of Florida ‘think tanks’ in driving a Koch-fueled, ALEC-allied corporate agenda, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Maine's Majority Education Fund, Fooling Maine: How national conservative groups infiltrated Maine politics by founding and funding the Maine Heritage Policy Center, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Progress Michigan, Who's Running Michigan? The Far-Right Influence of the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Alliance for a Better Minnesota, Who's in Charge: How Nationalized Corporate-Run Think Tanks Influence Minnesota Politics, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Progress Missouri, What Missourians Need to Know About the Show-Me Institute, organizational report, updated November 13, 2013.
- Granite State Progress, Bad Bartlett: The Josiah Bartlett Center and NH Watchdog Answer the Call of the Koch Brothers, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- ProgressOhio, Smoke Screen: The Buckeye Institute, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Keystone Progress, Think tanks or corporate lobbyist propaganda mills?, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Progress Texas, TPPF + ALEC, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- One Wisconsin Now, S is for Shill: Inside the Bradley Foundation's Attack on Public Education, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Muncie Voice, Pence and Right-Wing Are Taking Over Public Education, November 13, 2013.
- The Spokesman-Review, Shawn Vestal: Idaho Freedom Foundation pushes limits of word ‘charity’, November 2, 2013.
- AZ Central, When this ‘watchdog’ pitches, taxpayers strike out, October 12, 2013.
- IndyStar, Daniels says speech to partisan group was a mistake, October 10, 2013.
- Muncie Voice, Indiana Policy Review: Not an Independent News Source, October 2, 2013.
- The Spokesman-Review, Idaho Freedom Foundation's charitable status scrutinized, September 15, 2013.
- CounterSpin, Lee Fang on 'The Right Leans In', April 5, 2013.
- FireDogLake, State Policy Network, an umbrella coordinating ALEC, Heritage, Heartland and others, April 4, 2013.
- Thom Hartmann with Lee Fang on MSNBC, The conservative State Policy Network is sneaking into your state & will change America, March 29, 2013.
- Current TV "War Room", Lee Fang discussing the State Policy Network, March 28, 2013.
- The Nation, The Right Leans In, March 26, 2013.
- Democracy Now, Donors Trust: Little-Known Group Helps Wealthy Backers Fund Right-Wing Agenda in Secret, February 19, 2013.
- Paul Abowd, Center for Public Integrity, Donors use charity to push free-market policies in states, Consider the Source, February 14, 2013.
- John R. Mashey, Fake science, fakexperts, funny finances, free of tax 2, DeSmog Blog report, updated October 23, 2012, p. 74.
- Urban Milwaukee, Stealth Conservatives, October 11, 2012.
- Rome News-Tribune, ANALYSIS: Georgia leaders depend on the same well for ideas, October 2012.
- Andy Kroll, The Right-Wing Network Behind the War on Unions, Mother Jones, April 25, 2011.
- Guidestar, State Policy Network, IRS filings and other organizational information about SPN.
- Center for Policy Alternatives, ALEC and the Extreme Right-Wing Agenda, organizational brochure about ALEC and SPN.
- John J. Miller, Fifty Flowers Bloom: Conservative think tanks — mini–Heritage Foundations — at the state level, National Review, November 19, 2007.
- Bridge Project, State Policy Network, online resource listing grants to SPN and SPN's connections to other groups.
- People for the American Way, State Policy Network, RightWingWatch.org, organizational resource.
- Greenpeace, Koch Industries Climate Denial Front Group: State Policy Network (SPN), organizational resource.
- Thomas Jefferson Institute, Staff Scholars, organizational website, accessed December 8, 2011.
- Thomas Jefferson Institute, Mission, organizational website, accessed December 2012.
- Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy, GuideStar.org, accessed April 2013.
- Ben Jervey, The Trump Administration Is Filling Up With Koch Allies, the energy collective, December 22, 2016.
- Lee Fang, He Waged Intimidation Campaigns Against Climate Scientists; Now He’s Helping Trump Remake the EPA, The Intercept, December 9, 2016.
- Sheldon Whitehouse, "Senators Call Out Web of Denial Blocking Action On Climate Change," Office of Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, July 15, 2016.
- Except where noted: American Bridge 21st Century, Recipient: Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy, Bridge Project" conservative transparency website, accessed March 2014.
- NFIB Research Foundation, 2012 Form 990, annual organizational IRS filing, May 7, 2013, p. 22.
- NFIB Research Foundation, 2011 Form 990, annual organizational IRS filing, May 10, 2012, p. 23.
- Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy, [paper copy 2015 Form 990], annual organizational IRS filing, August 10, 2016.
- Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy, 2014 Form 990, annual organizational IRS filing, August 13, 2015.
- Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy, 2013 Form 990, annual organizational IRS filing, August 7, 2014.
- Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy, 2012 Form 990, annual organizational IRS filing, August 12, 2013.
- Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy, IRS Form 990, 2011, organizational tax filing, August 13, 2012.
- Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy, 2010. GuideStar.
- Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy, IRS form 990, 2009. GuideStar.
- Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy, Staff and Scholars, Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy, 2017.
- Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy, Board of Directors, Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy, 2017.