Tori power plant
The Tori power plant is a proposed 1800-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station under construction in Jharkhand, India, by Essar Energy.
The photo below shows the construction site.
The original Tori project proposal was for a captive pit-head coal-fired power plant, comprising two generation units of 600 MW capacity each, located in Latehar district, Jharkhand. The company states that coal for the project will be sourced "from the Chakla and Ashok Karkata captive coal blocks owned by the company".
In late 2011 a company spokesman told The Times of India that "construction work for the first phase has already started and it is going on in full swing. If things move smoothly, the first phase of 600MW will be commissioned by late 2012."
According to a September 2012 status report by the Central Electricity Authority, the first unit of 600 MW will be commissioned in June 2014 and the second unit in September 2014. However, the June 2014 status report of the CEA does not provide a completion date. A March 19, 2014 photo shows partial construction of two units. The December 2014 status report listed the planned commissioning dates as October 2016 for unit 1 and January 2017 for unit 2.
A third unit of 600 MW (Phase II) received environmental clearance in 2013.
Sponsor: Essar Energy
Location: Tori village, Latehar district, Jharkhand
Coordinates: 23.7073307, 84.7738552 (exact)
Status: Units 1 and 2: Under construction; Unit 3: Permitted
Nameplate capacity: 1,800 MW (Units 1-3: 600 MW)
Projected in service: 2016 (Unit 1); 2017 (Unit 2)
Coal Source: imported coal from Indonesia and Australia for an interim period until domestic coal becomes available
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
MoEF permits: Environmental clearance, (Nov 14, 2013)
Resources and articles
Related SourceWatch articles
- "2000 MW POWER PLANT- ESSAR POWER JHARKHAND LIMITED," Wikimapia, accessed February 2014
- "Essar Power Jharkhand-Tori (1,200 MW)" Essar Group, accessed January 23, 2011.
- Essar Energy, "Power", Essar Energy website, accessed February 2012.
- "Essar Power starts Tori plant work", The Times of India, August 3, 2011.
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, September 2012
- Expected synchronization/commissioning (Full load)/COD details of Thermal Power Projects, Central Electricity Authority, December 2014
- Environmental clearance, India MoEF, Nov 14, 2013
- Environmental clearance, India, MoEF, Nov 14, 2013.