Tori power plant
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of India and coal.|
The Tori power plant is a 1200-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station under construction in Jharkhand, India, by Essar Energy. A second phase of 600 MW is also being planned by the sponsor.
The photo below shows the construction site.
The Tori project will be a captive pit-head coal-fired power plant, comprising two generation units of 600 MW capacity each, located in Latehar district, Jharkhand. The company states that coal for the project will be sourced "from the Chakla and Ashok Karkata captive coal blocks owned by the company".
In late 2011 a company spokesman told The Times of India that "construction work for the first phase has already started and it is going on in full swing. If things move smoothly, the first phase of 600MW will be commissioned by late 2012."
According to a September 2012 status report by the Central Electricity Authority, the first unit of 600 MW will be commissioned in June 2014 and the second unit in September 2014.
However, the June 2014 status report of the CEA does not provide a completion date. A March 19, 2014 photo shows partial construction of two units.
Sponsor: Essar Energy
Location: Tori village, Latehar district, Jharkhand
Coordinates: 23.7073307, 84.7738552 (exact)
Status: Units 1 and 2: Under construction; Unit 3: Permitted
Nameplate capacity: Units 1 and 2: 1200 MW (2 x 600 MW); Unit 3: 600 MW
Projected in service:
Coal Source: imported coal from Indonesia and Australia for an interim period until domestic coal becomes available
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
MoEF permits: Environmental clearance, (Nov 14, 2013)
Resources and articles
Related SourceWatch articles
- "2000 MW POWER PLANT- ESSAR POWER JHARKHAND LIMITED," Wikimapia, accessed February 2014
- "Essar Power Jharkhand-Tori (1,200 MW)" Essar Group, accessed January 23, 2011.
- Essar Energy, "Power", Essar Energy website, accessed February 2012.
- "Essar Power starts Tori plant work", The Times of India, August 3, 2011.
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, September 2012
- Environmental clearance, India, MoEF, Nov 14, 2013.