Two Elk Energy Park Unit 1
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of coal plants|
This plant was initially proposed in 1996. It would use coal from the nearby Black Thunder Mine, and would service contract buyers using PacifiCorp’s transmission system. The project was granted an air permit in Aug. 2001, and is currently under construction.
On December 20, 2007 the Sierra Club and Powder River Basin Resource Council filed a petition against the air permit for the Two Elk plant due to the company's failure to do sufficient work on the plant to justify continuing the permit.
According to an April 2009 Sierra Club update, Northern American Power Group is in the process of applying for a new permit with Wyoming DEQ. The Sierra Club lawsuit against the previous permit is still pending.
In April 2014, WyoFile reported that the despite 15 years of extensions by the Wyoming Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ), construction had not progressed beyond initial site preparation and that citizens were petitioning the state to revoke the plants permits. Locals referred to the project as "No Elk."
Sponsor: North American Power Group
Location: Campbell County, WY
Capacity: 325 MW
Status: Construction begun but inactive
- Powder River Basin Resource Council, Jill Morrison, jillm [at] powderriverbasin.org
- Wyoming Sierra Club, Melanie Stein, melanie.stein [at] sierraclub.org
- North American Power Group website, accessed January 2008.
- Western Resource Advocates website, accessed January 2008.
- "Stopping the Coal Rush", Sierra Club, accessed November 2008. (This is a Sierra Club list of new coal plant proposals.)
- "Stopping the Coal Rush", Sierra Club, accessed May 2009. (This is a Sierra Club list of new coal plant proposals.)
- "Citizens ask state to revoke Two Elk Power Plant permit," WyoFile, April 15, 2014
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
- US proposed coal plants (both active and cancelled)
- Coal plants cancelled in 2007
- Coal plants cancelled in 2008
- Wyoming and coal
- State-by-state guide to information on coal in the United States (or click on the map)<us_map redirect="Wyoming and coal"></us_map>