Visakhapatnam Port, known as Vizag Port for short, is an ancient port located in east central India that began operating in 1933.
The port has recently increased its annual coal handling capacity to 25 million tonnes through modernization and expansion of its berths, but has also experienced a decline in coal traffic relative to other Indian ports, in part due to competition from to the rapidly expanding Paradip Port.
As of early 2015, three companies were processing coal at Vizag port, with an estimated combined capacity of 25 million metric tons. Two multi-commodity berths operated by VSPL (Vizag Seaport Private Limited), commissioned in 2004-05 with an annual capacity of 9 million tons, have recently been joined by Vedanta's newly mechanized Vizag General Cargo Berth (VGCB), commissioned in 2013 with a capacity of 10.7 million tons and Adani's Vizag Coal Terminal Private Ltd, completed in December 2013 and engaged in pre-commissioning trial runs in 2014, with an annual capacity estimated between 5 and 6.4 million tons.
A fourth project, the SEW Vizag Coal Terminal Private Ltd berth at East Quay 1A, with a capacity of 7.36 million tons, was scheduled for completion in 2014 but has seen its commissioning delayed until September 2015.
Vizag Port's imports of both thermal and coking coal suffered declines between April 2013 and January 2014, even as India's other coal ports were experiencing significant growth. As reported in the Times of India, a senior shipping executive attributed the dropoff in exports partially to competition from Paradip Port, which recently deepened its harbor to receive large vessels.
- Operator: Visakhapatnam Port Trust (VPT)
- Existing Capacity (Tonnes per annum): 25 million
- Additional Proposed Capacity (Tonnes per annum): 7.36 million
- Status of expansion: Construction
- Type: Imports
- Projected in service: September 2015
- Cost of expansion:
- Financing for expansion:
- Coal Source:
Articles and Resources
- "Route rationalization, political uncertainty hit coal traffic at Visakhapatnam Port Trust" The Times of India, February 13, 2014.
- "Vizag Seaport Private Limited" Gammon Infrastructure website, accessed February 2015.
- "Vizag Port set to become a hub for imported coal" The Hindu, April 22, 2014.
- "Vizag Port takes up mechanisation at Rs 444.1 cr" Infrastructure Today, May 2013.
- "Essar beats Vedanta to bag VPT OHC project" The Times of India, May 30, 2013.
- "About Us" Vedanta website, accessed February 2015.
- "Adani Ports completes Rs 400 crore coal import terminal at Vizag port" NDTV Profit, December 18, 2013.
- "Adani starts trial runs at Vizag coal terminal" The Hindu, July 16, 2014.
- "VPT signs agreement to develop EQ-1A berth" The Hindu, February 5, 2012.
- "Three VPT projects run into delays" The Times of India, November 24, 2014.