Learn more about corporations VOTING to rewrite our laws.
WellPoint is the largest health insurer in the U.S. It provides coverage to 34 million customers, primarily under the Blue Cross and Blue Shield name. In 14 states, it is a Blue Cross or BCSB licensee. In other states, it provides coverage under the Unicare name. Wellpoint offers plans such as HMO (Health Maintenance Organization) and PPO (Preferred Provider Organization) to individuals, employers, and recipients of Medicare and Medicaid. 
Support for the American Legislative Exchange Council
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
|Key executives and 2006 pay: ||Options
|Larry C. Glasscock, Chairman, Chairman of Exec. Committee||$1,290,000||$9,530,000|
|John S. Watts, Jr., CEO of Commercial & Consumer Bus.||$1,530,000||$3,860,000|
|Joan Herman, CEO of Sr. Specialty & State Sponsored Programs||$1,570,000||$11,150,000|
|Michael A. Stocker, CEO of East Region||$6,260,000||$12,270,000|
|Alice F. Rosenblatt, Chief Actuary||$1,400,000||$10,070,000|
Selected members of the Board of Directors: 
- Lenox D. Baker, Jr., Also President, Mid-Atlantic Cardiothoracic Surgeons, Ltd.
- Ramiro G. Peru, Also Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Swift Corporation
- George A. Schaefer, Jr., Also Chairman, Fifth Third Bancorp
120 Monument Circle
Indianapolis, IN 46204
- ↑ WellPoint Profile, Hoovers, accessed September 2007.
- ↑ [American Legislative Exchange Council, 2011 Conference Sponsors, conference brochure on file with CMD, August 11, 2011]
- ↑ 2006 PAC Summary Data, Open Secrets, accessed September 2007.
- ↑ WellPoint lobbying expenses, Open Secrets.
- ↑ WellPoint Key Executives, Yahoo Finance, accessed September 2007.
- ↑ Board of Directors, WellPoint, accessed September 2007.