The Wellcome Trust, which had $22.5 billion in total assets as of September 30, 2012 (the date of the most recently available filing with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service), and is one of the world's largest non-profit foundations. According to The Independent, "It was founded in 1936 on the death of American-born pharmaceutical magnate Sir Henry Wellcome, who vested the entire share capital of his drug company the Wellcome Foundation in five trustees with instructions on how to spend the income. It is the UK's largest non-governmental source of funds for biomedical research, investing more than £500m 'to improve human and animal health' and to promote the understanding of science. In 1986, the Wellcome Foundation was floated on the stock exchange with a quarter of its shares sold to the public. The rest were sold off in 1995, when the company was bought by Glaxo to form GlaxoWellcome, which evolved into GlaxoSmithKline."
Board of Governors
As of February 2014:
- William Castell - Became Chairman in May 2006, having joined the Board in January 2006.
- Damon Buffini - Joined the Board of Governors in September 2012.
- Kay Davies - Joined the Board of Governors in January 2008.
- Alan Brown - Joined the Board of Governors in May 2012.
- Richard Hynes - Joined the Board of Governors in January 2007.
- Michael A.J. Ferguson - Joined the Board of Governors in January 2012.
- Eliza Manningham-Buller - Joined the Board of Governors in August 2008.
- Anne Johnson - Joined the Board of Governors in January 2011.
- Peter Smith - Joined the Board of Governors in June 2004.
- Peter Rigby - Joined the Board of Governors in January 2008.
Resources and Articles
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Peter Buckley, UK
- Dame Patricia Hodgson
- David Macdonald
- Charles Darwin Trust
- Millennium Seed Bank Projec
- Fay Bound Alberti
- Dianne Hayter - former Director of Corporate Affairs
- Naguib Kheraj
- Michael Rutter - former deputy chair
- Wellcome Trust, 2011 Form 990, organizational annual IRS filing, August 12, 2013.
- Michael Harrison, "Private equity rivals wage £11bn bid battle over Boots", The Independent (archived by Nexis, sub. req'd.), 21 April 2007.
- Wellcome Trust Board of Governors, organizational website, accessed February 2014.