Wilkie Creek Mine
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
Wilkie Creek Mine is a surface mine located in the Surat Basin of Southeast Queensland, Australia, and owned by Peabody Energy. In 2008, the Mine sold 2.5 million tons of thermal coal, all of which was sold to the Asian export market through the Port of Brisbane.
Coal from the Wilkie Creek Mine is also sold to power generators in Australia and South America. 
Coal India in Discussions with Peabody
In early April 2010 it was reported by Reuters that Partha Bhattacharyya, the Chairman and Managing Director of Coal India, stated that Peabody "are very keen to get into a partnership with us". Subsequently, Peabody issued a media release in which it confirmed that "preliminary discussions to explore long-term coal supplies and other possible cooperative ventures" were underway. The dsiscussions, the company stated, "are at very early stages and there have been no final agreements or decisions made regarding timing or structure."
It was announced in November 2010 that Coal India was in talks with Peabody Energy and Massey Energy about acquiring two of the companies' mines. Coal India has budgeted $1.2 billion to buy assets in the U.S., Indonesia and Australia during the year ending March 2011 as it battles a widening gap between domestic coal supply and demand. The Economic Times reported that Coal India hopes to reach agreement on Peabody Energy Australia spinning the Wilkie Creek Mine off into an unlisted stand alone company in which it would be a 15% stake.
- Owner: Peabody Energy
- Parent company: Peabody Energy
- Location: Surat Basin of Southeast Queensland, Australia
- GPS coordinates:
- Production: 2.5 million tons (2008)
- Type of coal: Thermal
- Mine type: Surface
- Equipment: Truck, shovel
- Number of employees:
- Recoverable Reserves: 349 million tons
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
Coal in Australia
- Australia and Post-Kyoto Protocol negotiations on greenhouse gas emissions
- Australian Coal Association
- The Australian Coal Association's Proposed Carbon Capture and Storage Taskforce
- Coal-to-Liquids in Australia
- Nonviolent direct actions against coal
- Coal promoters in Australia
- ↑ "Peabody Annual Report 10K through December 31, 2008" Edgar Online, Filed February 27, 2009
- ↑ "Queensland Operations" Peabody Energy Website, October 2009
- ↑ Ruchira Singh, "Coal India in talks with Peabody for stake, JV", Reuters, April 5, 2010.
- ↑ "Statement on Peabody Energy / Coal India Discussions", Media Release, April 12, 2010.
- ↑ "Coal India in talks for Peabody, Massey mines" Erika Kinetz, Forbes.com, November 12, 2010.
- ↑ "Finmin's approval required for Coal India's investment in Peabody's Wilkie Creek project", Economic Times, July 7, 2011.