Wisconsin Policy Research Institute
Learn more about how the State Policy Network aids ALEC and spins disinformation in the states.
Learn more about corporations VOTING to rewrite our laws.
The Wisconsin Policy Research Institute, or WPRI, is a conservative, free market think tank founded in 1987 and based in Hartland, Wisconsin. It calls itself "Wisconsin's Free Market Think Tank" and says it is "guided by a belief that competitive free markets, limited government, private initiative, and personal responsibility are essential to our democratic way of life." It publishes WI Magazine and WPRI Reports.
WPRI is a member of the State Policy Network (SPN), a collection of state-based conservative think tanks.
Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
The Wisconsin Policy Research Institute has ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) through Wisconsin state senator Leah Vukmir, who is an ALEC board member and the Public Chair of the ALEC Health and Human Services Task Force. Vukmir has been a Wisconsin state senator representing the 5th district since 2011. Prior to serving in the Wisconsin Senate, Sen. Vukmir was a representative in the Wisconsin Assembly for Wisconsin's 14th assembly district from 2002-2011. Sen. Vukmir has been a contributing author as well as an Institute Research Fellow at WPRI.
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
The Institute has played a prominent role in the development of Wisonsin's school voucher program and has formulated recommendations for state prison policy.
The Institute partnered with the Beacon Hill Institute (BHI) on a report critiquing the recommendations from a 2007 state clean energy task force, including the state's renewable portfolio standards (RPS).
The Bradley Foundation gave the Wisconsin Policy Research Institute a $2.8 million start-up grant in 1987, and by 2010 it had given WPRI a total of $16.5 million. Between 2001 and 2010, WPRI received $7 million from the foundation.
- Total Revenue: $695,036
- Total Expenses: $942,350
- Net Assets: $2,146,242
- Total Revenue: $1,821,093.00
- Total Expenses: $1,748,844.00
- Net Assets: $2,393,556.00
- Total Revenue: $884,047.00
- Total Expenses: $670,575.00
- Net Assets: $2,321,307.00
Board of Directors
As of April 2013:
- James R. Klauser, Chairman (former senior vice president, Wisconsin Energy Corporation; Secretary of the Wisconsin Department of Administration from 1986-1996 under Governor Tommy Thompson and Special Counsel to the Governor from 1994 to 1996; Board of Regents, Milwaukee school of Engineering; Board of Trustees, Carthage College)
- David Baumgarten (President, Bank Mutual; former Executive Vice President, Associated Banc-Corp; former President, Southeast Wisconsin Associated Bank; former President and CEO, US Bank, Wisconsin; former President and CEO, US Bank, Colorado; and Senior Vice President, First Bank, Minneapolis, Minnesota; Board of Directors, Metro Milwaukee Association of Commerce, Milwaukee Redevelopment Corporation, Wisconsin Procurement Institute, Boys & Girls Club of Greater Milwaukee, the Greater Milwaukee Committee and Athletes for Youth)
- Catherine C. Dellin (President, Camp 5 Museum Foundation, Laona, Wisconsin)
- Thomas J. Howatt (Chairman of the Board of Directors and former President and CEO, Wausau Paper Corporation; former Chairman, Wisconsin Paper Council; Dean’s Advisory Council, Purdue University Krannert School of Management; Board of Governors, National Council for Air and Stream Improvement; Chicago Advisory Board, FM Global; Board of Directors, M&I First American Bank)
- Michael T. Jones (retired from MillerCoors in August of 2012; Board of Directors, North Shore Bank)
- David J. Lubar (President, Lubar & Co.; Boards of Directors, Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company, Marshall & Ilsley Corp., and the Milwaukee Brewers baseball team; Board member, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Foundation, University School of Milwaukee, Greater Milwaukee Foundation, Froedtert & Community Health System, Milwaukee Jewish Federation, Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce, and United Way of Greater Milwaukee)
- Maureen Oster (President, MBO Advisors, LLC (merged with Cleary Gull Inc. in 2003); Board of Directors, Cleary Gull Holdings; Officer, Lipper Advisory Services; Advisor, L&S Partners I, LLC; former President and Director, Heritage Investment Advisors, Inc. and the Newton Funds (acquired by Marshall & Ilsley Corp. in 1985); Director and member of the Executive Committee, No Load Mutual Fund Association; Trustee, State of Wisconsin Investment Board (one of America’s largest public pension funds); Director, Milwaukee Insurance (now part of Unitrin); Trustee, Cardinal Stritch University; former President and Director, Milwaukee Investment Analysts Society)
- 'Timothy Sheehy (President, Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce; former Legislative Assistant to U.S. Congressman F. James Sensenbrenner Jr.; Chairman of the Board, Milwaukee Economic Development Corporation; Board member, School Choice Wisconsin)
- Gerald Whitburn (Chairman, President and CEO, Church Mutual Insurance Company; Board member and former Chairman, Property Casualty Insurers Association of American (PCI); Board member and Trustee, American Institute for Charter Property Casualty Underwriters (AICPCU); Director, Natural Resources Foundation; former Secretary, Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services; former Secretary of Health and Human Services, Wisconsin (1991-1995) and Labor Secretary (1989-1991))
- Edward Zore (President and CEO, Northwestern Mutual; Board member, Manpower Inc.; Board member, American Council of Life Insurers; Member, Financial Services Roundtable; Advisory Board, The American College Center for Ethics in Financial Services; Conference Board and Advisory Board, Yale Center for Corporate Governance and Performance)
- Ave Bie (Partner, Quarles & Brady; former Chairwoman, Public Service Commission (PSC) of Wisconsin; former Deputy Secretary, Department of Corrections, Deputy Secretary, Department of Regulation and Licensing and Director of Appointments for the Office of the Governor; President of the Board of Trustees, Edgewood Campus School; Board member and executive committee, United Way of Dane County; Board member, St. Mary’s Foundation; Board of Directors, Green Bay Packers)
- Jon Hammes (Managing Partner, Hammes Company; Director, Medical College of Wisconsin, the University of Wisconsin Foundation, the YMCA of Metropolitan Milwaukee, the United Way of Greater Milwaukee and Junior Achievement; Board member, Greater Milwaukee Committee and WiCab, Inc.)
- George Lightbourn, President (former Secretary of the Wisconsin Department of Administration; Chairman, Monona Community Development Authority; Board member, WCA Services, Inc.)
As of April 2013:
- Christian Schneider
- Sammis White, Ph.D.
- David Dodenhoff, Ph.D. (former staffer, Arizona Governor Jane Dee Hull)
- Ben Artz
Articles and Resources
Related SourceWatch Articles
- State Policy Network:
- American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)
- Donors Capital Fund
- Koch Family Foundations
- Koch Industries
- Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity
- Heritage Foundation
- Think tanks
- Whitney Ball
- Adam Meyerson
- Bridgett Wagner
Related PRWatch Articles
- Rebekah Wilce, Did ALEC Found SPN? 1991 Report Suggests So, Exposes SPN Agenda, PRWatch.org, December 12, 2013.
- Rebekah Wilce, Guardian Documents Expose State Policy Network Groups' Intent to Lobby, PRWatch.org, December 5, 2013.
- Rebekah Wilce, State Policy Network: The Stealth Network Dramatically Influencing State Law, PRWatch.org, December 5, 2013.
- Rebekah Wilce, Tracie Sharp: Bursar of Mystery Money and "IKEA Model" Materials to Stink Tanks, PRWatch.org, November 19, 2013.
- Center for Media and Democracy, Reports Expose Extreme Pressure Groups Masquerading as Think Tanks, press release, November 13, 2013.
- Rebekah Wilce, A Reporters’ Guide to the "State Policy Network": the Right-Wing Think Tanks Spinning Disinformation and Pushing the ALEC Agenda in the States, PRWatch.org, April 4, 2013.
- Sara Jerving, ALEC and Heartland Aim to Crush Renewable Energy Standards in the States, PRWatch.org, November 27, 2012.
- Connor Gibson, Meet the Network Hiding the Koch Money: "Donors Trust" and "Donors Capital Fund", PRWatch.org, October 29, 2012.
- Brendan Fischer, Koch-Funded Mackinac Center Brings Wisconsin Act 10 Provisions to ALEC, PRWatch.org, May 2, 2012.
- Sara Jerving, Franklin Center: Right-Wing Funds State News Source, PRWatch.org, October 31, 2011.
- DeSmog Blog, Stink Tanks: Historical Records Reveal State Policy Network Was Created by ALEC, December 9, 2013.
- The Guardian, State conservative groups plan US-wide assault on education, health and tax, December 5, 2013.
- Portland Press Herald, "Washington County residents have mixed reactions to plan to eliminate taxes," December 5, 2013.
- The Texas Observer, "The Money Behind the Fight to Undermine Medicaid," December 5, 2013.
- Media Matters, North Carolina Newspapers Largely Ignore Conservative Funding Of Sham Think Tanks, December 3, 2013.
- Shepherd Express, Masters of Manipulation: Right-wing Billionaires, Corporations and the Bradley Foundation Pay for Junk Studies that Prop up Their Agenda, November 27, 2013.
- "Moyers & Company," How a Shadowy Network of Corporate Front Groups Distorts the Marketplace of Ideas, November 19, 2013.
- MSNBC "Rachel Maddow Show," November 18, 2013.
- Free Speech TV "Ring of Fire," Facebook, Microsoft, AT&T and Others Supporting Right Wing Propaganda Machine, November 18, 2013.
- Topeka Capital-Journal, Trabert dismisses report tying KPI to Koch agenda, November 16, 2013.
- The New Yorker (Jane Mayer), Is IKEA the New Model for the Conservative Movement?, November 15, 2013.
- Salon, Ted Cruz and Koch brothers embroiled in shadowy Tea Party scheme, November 15, 2013.
- St. Louis Business Journal, Beyond Sinquefield: Who else is funding the Show-Me Institute?, November 15, 2013.
- The Guardian, Facebook and Microsoft help fund rightwing lobby network, report finds, November 14, 2013.
- Huffington Post, Meet The Little-Known Network Pushing Ideas For Kochs, ALEC, November 14, 2013.
- CBS St. Louis, Show-Me Institute’s Ties Questioned in New Report, November 14, 2013.
- Talking Points Memo, Florida Conservative Group Helping Muck Up Obamacare In Alaska, November 14, 2013.
- Mint Press News, Reports Reveal SPN’s Secret Corporate Agenda Through Use ‘Expert’ Testimony, November 14, 2013.
- Media Matters, Shadowy Right-Wing Group Generates Media Coverage For Conservative Policy From Coast To Coast, November 14, 2013.
- The Institute for Southern Studies, Are conservative think tanks breaking lobbying laws?, November 14, 2013.
- Nonprofit Quarterly, Corporate Money in Network of Right-Wing State Policy Think Tanks, November 14, 2013.
- The Progressive, Right-Wing Think Tanks Push Privatization in the States, November 13, 2013.
- Politico, Report: Think tanks tied to Kochs, November 13, 2013.
- Lawrence Journal-World, Reports released by progressive groups are critical of Kansas Policy Institute, November 13, 2013.
- Maine Insights, Report: Maine Heritage Policy Center’s funding connection to Koch Brothers, November 13, 2013.
- The Florida Current, Liberal groups bemoan lobbying by conservative think tanks, November 13, 2013.
- The Oregonian, Cascade Policy Institute benefits from secretive donor group but says it operates independently, November 13, 2013.
- Center for Media and Democracy, EXPOSED: The State Policy Network, The Powerful Right-Wing Network Helping to Hijack State Politics and Government, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Arizona Working Families and CMD, A Reporter’s Guide to the Goldwater Institute: What Citizens, Policymakers, and Reporters Should Know, organizational report, updated November 13, 2013.
- Progress Florida and CMD, Lawmaking Under the Influence of Very Special Interests: Understand the role of Florida ‘think tanks’ in driving a Koch-fueled, ALEC-allied corporate agenda, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Maine's Majority Education Fund, Fooling Maine: How national conservative groups infiltrated Maine politics by founding and funding the Maine Heritage Policy Center, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Progress Michigan, Who's Running Michigan? The Far-Right Influence of the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Alliance for a Better Minnesota, Who's in Charge: How Nationalized Corporate-Run Think Tanks Influence Minnesota Politics, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Progress Missouri, What Missourians Need to Know About the Show-Me Institute, organizational report, updated November 13, 2013.
- Granite State Progress, Bad Bartlett: The Josiah Bartlett Center and NH Watchdog Answer the Call of the Koch Brothers, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- ProgressOhio, Smoke Screen: The Buckeye Institute, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Keystone Progress, Think tanks or corporate lobbyist propaganda mills?, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Progress Texas, TPPF + ALEC, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- One Wisconsin Now, S is for Shill: Inside the Bradley Foundation's Attack on Public Education, organizational report, November 13, 2013.
- Muncie Voice, Pence and Right-Wing Are Taking Over Public Education, November 13, 2013.
- The Spokesman-Review, Shawn Vestal: Idaho Freedom Foundation pushes limits of word ‘charity’, November 2, 2013.
- AZ Central, When this ‘watchdog’ pitches, taxpayers strike out, October 12, 2013.
- IndyStar, Daniels says speech to partisan group was a mistake, October 10, 2013.
- Muncie Voice, Indiana Policy Review: Not an Independent News Source, October 2, 2013.
- The Spokesman-Review, Idaho Freedom Foundation's charitable status scrutinized, September 15, 2013.
- CounterSpin, Lee Fang on 'The Right Leans In', April 5, 2013.
- FireDogLake, State Policy Network, an umbrella coordinating ALEC, Heritage, Heartland and others, April 4, 2013.
- Thom Hartmann with Lee Fang on MSNBC, The conservative State Policy Network is sneaking into your state & will change America, March 29, 2013.
- Current TV "War Room", Lee Fang discussing the State Policy Network, March 28, 2013.
- The Nation, The Right Leans In, March 26, 2013.
- Democracy Now, Donors Trust: Little-Known Group Helps Wealthy Backers Fund Right-Wing Agenda in Secret, February 19, 2013.
- Paul Abowd, Center for Public Integrity, Donors use charity to push free-market policies in states, Consider the Source, February 14, 2013.
- John R. Mashey, Fake science, fakexperts, funny finances, free of tax 2, DeSmog Blog report, updated October 23, 2012, p. 74.
- Urban Milwaukee, Stealth Conservatives, October 11, 2012.
- Rome News-Tribune, ANALYSIS: Georgia leaders depend on the same well for ideas, October 2012.
- Andy Kroll, The Right-Wing Network Behind the War on Unions, Mother Jones, April 25, 2011.
- Guidestar, State Policy Network, IRS filings and other organizational information about SPN.
- Center for Policy Alternatives, ALEC and the Extreme Right-Wing Agenda, organizational brochure about ALEC and SPN.
- John J. Miller, Fifty Flowers Bloom: Conservative think tanks — mini–Heritage Foundations — at the state level, National Review, November 19, 2007.
- Bridge Project, State Policy Network, online resource listing grants to SPN and SPN's connections to other groups.
- People for the American Way, State Policy Network, RightWingWatch.org, organizational resource.
- Greenpeace, Koch Industries Climate Denial Front Group: State Policy Network (SPN), organizational resource.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Wisconsin Policy Research Institute, "About WPRI", organizational website, accessed September 2012.
- ↑ American Legislative Exchange Council, "ALEC Board of Directors", organizational website, accessed September 2012.
- ↑ American Legislative Exchange Council, ALEC Health and Human Services, organizational website, accessed September 2012.
- ↑ Sen. Leah Vukmir, About Leah Vukmir, campaign website, accessed September 2012.
- ↑ Wisconsin Policy Research Institute, WPRI Reports by Author, organizational website, accessed September 2012.
- ↑ Media Transpareny: Receipt Grants: Wisconsin Policy Research Institute, Inc.. Retrieved on 2008-12-02.
- ↑ Barbara Miner, Wisconsin's Progressive Tradition at Stake in the Recall Election, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, May 14, 2012.
- ↑ Daniel Bice, Bill Glauber, and Ben Poston, From local roots, Bradley Foundation builds conservative empire, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, November 28, 2011.
- ↑ Wisconsin Policy Research Institute, IRS 2011 Form 990, organizational tax filing, August 8, 2012.
- ↑ Wisconsin Policy Research Institute, IRS form 990, 2010. GuideStar.
- ↑ Wisconsin Policy Research Institute, IRS form 990, 2009. GuideStar.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Wisconsin Policy Research Institute, About, organizational website, accessed April 2013.