Wygen Unit 2
Wygen Unit 2 is a mine-mouth plant operating at Wyoming's Powder River Basin. It is owned by the Black Hills Corporation. It is part of the Neil Simpson Complex, along with several other plants: Neil Simpson 1 (1970), Neil Simpson 2 (1995), and Wygen 1 (2003). All these plants use coal from the nearby Wyodak Mine.
The state air permit for Wygen II was opposed by the National Park Service, due to pollution impacts on the Badlands and Wind Cave National Monument.
Sponsor: Black Hills Corporation
Location: Gillette, WY
Capacity: 90 MW
Type: Pulverized coal
In service: January 1, 2008
- Powder River Basin Resource Council, Jill Morrison, jillm [at] powderriverbasin.org
- Western Resource Advocates website, accessed January 2008,
- Black Hills Corporation 2006 shareholder report, accessed January 2008.
- "Black Hills Corporation Announces Commencement of Wygen II Power Plant Commercial Operations for Cheyenne Light Customers," PR Newswire, January 10, 2008.
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
- US proposed coal plants (both active and cancelled)
- Coal plants cancelled in 2007
- Coal plants cancelled in 2008
- Wyoming and coal
- State-by-state guide to information on coal in the United States (or click on the map)<us_map redirect="Wyoming and coal"></us_map>