Xstrata "is a major global diversified mining group", based in Switzerland. The company has a "position in seven major international commodity markets: copper, coking coal, thermal coal, ferrochrome, nickel, vanadium and zinc, with additional exposures to platinum group metals, gold, cobalt, lead and silver, recycling facilities and a suite of global technology products, many of which are industry leaders." 
The group is active in 19 countries: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Germany, New Caledonia, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Peru, the Philippines, Republic of Ireland, South Africa, Spain, Tanzania, the USA and the UK.
Xstrata and coal
A November 2007 presentation to investment analysts by the President of BHP Billiton Coal, Dave Murray, noted that Xstrata had an 9% share of the global coal export trade, making it the largest coal exporter in the world.
Xstrata's coal projects are operated under the banner of its wholly owned subsidiary Xstrata Coal. (See this page for more details on the company's coal operations).
Ulan mine expansion
In November 2010, Mitsubishi said that it and Xstrata would roughly double the production capacity of the Ulan Coal mine in New South Wales state in Australia to 12.9 million metric tons a year, with commercial production targeted starting in 2014. Mitsubishi has a 10% stake in the mine while Xstrata holds the remainder. The two partners will invest A$1.3 billion in the expansion, the Japanese trading house said in a statement. The partners will sell the new output to Japan and other foreign customers.
Glencore International owns approximately 35% of Xstrata, which has substantial coal mining operations in Australia, South Africa, Canada and Colombia.  On its website Glencore states that it "has a market advisory agreement with Xstrata with respect to its export Coal sales. 
Accessed February 2011: 
- Willy Strothotte
- David Rough
- Con Fauconnier
- Ivan Glasenberg
- Peter Hooley
- Claude Lamoureux
- Sir Steve Robson
- Ian Strachan
- Mick Davis
- Trevor Reid
- Santiago Zaldumbide
- Mick Davis, Chief Executive
- Trevor Reid, Chief Financial Officer
- Santiago Zaldumbide, an executive director of Xstrata, Chief Executive of Xstrata Zinc and Executive Chairman of Asturiana de Zinc
- Willy Strothotte, Chairman of Xstrata
- Ivan Glasenberg, Chief Executive Officer of Glencore International
- Paul Hazen, Former Chairman and CEO of Wells Fargo and Company
- Claude Lamoureux, Also on the boards of Northumbrian Water plc, Maple Leaf Foods and Atrium-Innovations
- Robert MacDonnell, Also a director of Safeway, Inc.
- Steve Robson, Also a director of JPMorgan Cazenove Holdings, Partnerships UK plc and The Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc
- David Rough, Also a director of Friends Provident Plc and Land Securities plc
- Ian Strachan, Also a director of Reuters Group plc, Johnson Matthey plc, Rolls-Royce plc and Transocean Inc.
PO Box 102
Tel: +41 41 726 60 70
Fax: +41 41 726 60 89
E-mail: info AT xstrata.com
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- The impact of the Glencore-Xstrata merger on proposed coal projects
- Australia and coal
- Colombia and coal
- Carbones del Cerrejón
- Joanne Pafumi
- McArthur River Mining
- Prime Ministerial Task Group on Emissions Trading
- Queensland Resources Council
- South Africa and coal
- Sustainable Minerals Institute
- Wesley Research Institute
- Corporate market share of global coal export trade
- Steve Flewelling
- Mmakau Mining
- Qatar Holding
- Home, Xstrata, accessed March 16, 2008.
- Falconbridge Offer, Xstrata, accessed May 11, 2010.
- Dave Murray, "BHP Billiton Coal CSG Anlayst Visit: Hunter Valley Energy Coal", BHP Billiton, November 2nd, 2007.
- "Mitsubishi Corp: To Double Australia Coal Mine Capacity By 2014" Fox Business, Nov. 16, 2010.
- Glencore International, "Coal", Glencore International website, accessed June 2008.
- Board, Xstrata, accessed February 20, 2011.
- Management, Xstrata, accessed June 2008.