|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
AMCI Group describes itself as "an active global investor in coal, iron ore, base metals, power, shipping, logistics and trading."
On its website, AMCI states that it is "managed by Hans Mende and Mike Salamon, who between them, have more than 50 years of experience in the global energy sector. Our company was founded in November 2006 and it has in excess of US $1billion in assets under management."
The company's website states that "AMCI Capital Fund 1 is a joint venture between First Reserve Corporation, the world’s largest energy-focused private equity fund, and American Metals & Coal International (AMCI), a private resources company owned by Hans Mende and Fritz Kundrun. The two have successfully partnered together for more than 10 years, with AMCI contributing industry expertise and deal sourcing capabilities and First Reserve contributing its financial resources and expertise. Fund 2 is a joint venture with one of the world’s leading hedge funds."
On its website AMCI lists its "current investments" as including:
- Alpha Coal, a coal exploration and development project in Australia’s Galilee Basin;
- Borneo Mining based in SOuth Africa which "invests in new mining ventures in the energy and bulk commodity markets";
- Cape Holdings L.L.C. Cape Holdings is a wholly owned project of AMCI Capital which constructs dry bulk shipping;
- China Coal Energy which has "coal production and trading as its core business, is China’s second largest coal producer coal producer with a broad variety of businesses in thermal and coking coal, coal mining equipment manufacturing, and coal mine design. It is the fifth largest coal company in the world in terms of coal reserves";
- Carbocoque in Colombia which is "a private company that produces and exports coking coal, metallurgical and foundry coke from Colombia";
- Corona Power L.L.C. operates the coal-fired Sunbury power plant in Pennsylvania;
- Enerco which is "entirely owned by AMCI Capital" specializes "in upgrading hard coal to deliver low-ash, highly reactive coal to the silicon and ferro-silicon industries" in Europe;
- Giralia Resources, an iron ore exploration company based in Perth, Western Australia;
- Rand Uranium, a uranium investment company based in South Africa;
- Optimum Coal which has a number of projects mostly in the Witbank coalfield region of Mpumalanga. AMCI states that "Optimum Coal is the sixth largest producer of thermal coal in South Africa and is a key supplier of coal to Eskom for energy generation. The company is also South Africa’s fourth largest coal exporter with a significant shareholding of the Richards Bay Coal Terminal."
- Umcebo "a mining company with coal mining interests in Witbank, in the province of Mpumalanga, South Africa and with major deposits in the Wonderfontein and Delmas areas of South Africa"; and
- United Maritime Group, a "U.S-based water transportation company that handles coal, petroleum coke, phosphate, grain and other bulk commodities".
A subsidiary of the AMCI Group is South West Coal, which is a 70% owner of Vasse Coal Management Pty. Ltd, the proponent of the Vasse Coal Project near Margaret River in south-west Western Australia.
Articles and resources
- AMCI Capital, "Welcome to AMCI Capital", AMCI Capital website, accessed December 2010.
- AMCI Capital, "About AMCI Capital", AMCI Capital website, accessed January 2011.
- AMCI Capital, "Current investments", AMCI Capital website, accessed January 2011.
- "Vasse Coal Project Ownership", Vasse Coal website, accessed December 2010.
- AMCI Capital, "Former investments", AMCI Capital website, accessed January 2011.