Conesauga Shale, Alabama
Wells are currently being drilled to produce gas from the Cambrian Conasauga shale in northern Alabama. Activity is in St. Clair, Etowah, and Cullman counties.
Floyd Shale, Alabama
The Floyd Shale of Mississippian age is a current gas exploration target in the Black Warrior Basin of northern Alabama and Mississippi.
On June 14, 2012, the U.S. Bureau of Land Management will auction off oil and gas excavation rights to 43,000 acres of Talladega National Forest in Alabama. If the auction winners determine the land beneath the virgin forests contains petroleum or gas, the likely method of extracting it will be hydraulic fracturing.
Legislative issues and regulations
- ↑ Alabama State Oil and Gas Board (Nov. 2007):An overview of the Conesauga shale gas play in Alabama, PDF file, downloaded 10 June 2009.
- ↑ "Operators chase gas in three Alabama shale formations," Oil & Gas Jour., 21 Jan. 2008, p.49-50.
- ↑ Mark J. Pawlewicz and Joseph R. hatch, Petroleum Assessment of the Chattanooga Shale/Floyd Shale Total Petroleum System, Black Warrior Basin, Alabama and Mississippi, US Geological Survey, Digital Data Series DDS-69-1, 2007, PDF file.
- ↑ Alabama Geological Survey, An overview of the Floyd Shale/Chattanooga Shale gas play in Alabama, July 2009, PDF file.
- ↑ "Fracking risks in Alabama," Decatur Daily, June 1, 2012.
Related SourceWatch articles
Click on the map below for state-by-state information on fracking: