American Forest and Paper Association
The American Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA) "is both one of the youngest and one of the oldest major trade groups in the nation. AF&PA was founded January 1, 1993, evolving from predecessor groups dating as far back as the mid-1800's. Immediately prior to the founding of AF&PA, the forest products industry was represented by two organizations-the National Forest Products Association (NFPA) and the American Paper Institute (API)-each independent institutions with some common membership. NFPA and API represented distinct sectors of the industry, with the former being the agent for the forest and building products industries, while the latter represented pulp, paper, and paperboard manufacturers.
"API was first formed as the American Paper Makers Association in 1878. Five years later, it was reorganized and renamed the American Paper Manufacturers Association. A wood pulp division was added in 1887, and in 1897, the organization was again renamed-this time as the American Paper and Pulp Association (APPA), a name that lasted 66 years.
"In 1964, APPA merged with the National Paperboard Association (founded in 1932) to form the Pulp, Paper, and Paperboard Institute. This incarnation proved fairly short-lived as the group was reorganized into API in 1966 through the consolidation of fifteen specialized pulp, paper, and paperboard associations (including most of the former federated associations of APPA). One of these, the Writing Paper Manufacturers Association, was founded in 1861 and is AF&PA's oldest ancestor." 
- Donna A. Harman, President and Chief Executive Officer, American Forest & Paper Association
- Jan Poling, Vice President, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, American Forest & Paper Association
Accessed January 2009: 
- Chairman - John V. Faraci, Chairman & CEO, International Paper Company
- First Vice Chairman - Lee M. Thomas, Chairman, President & CEO, Rayonier
- Second Vice Chairman - Colin Moseley, Chairman, Green Diamond Resource Company
- Past Chairman - James A. Rubright, Chairman & CEO, RockTenn
- Aubra H. Anthony, Jr., President & CEO, Anthony Forest Products Company
- Michael E. Case, President & CEO, The Westervelt Company
- Daniel P. Christensen, President & CEO, Hancock Timber Resource Group
- John B. Crowe, Chairman & CEO, Buckeye Technologies Inc
- Mark D. Emmerson, CFO, Sierra Pacific Industries
- Charles A. Feghali, Managing Director, Interstate Resources, Inc
- Terry R. Freeman, President, Bibler Bros. Lumber Company
- Bruno F. Fritschi, President & CEO, Resource Management Service, LLC
- Richard W. Frost, CEO, LP
- Daniel S. Fulton, President & CEO, Weyerhaeuser Company
- Mark R. Gardner, President & CEO, Sappi Fine Paper--North America
- James B. Hannan, CEO & President, Georgia-Pacific LLC
- Michael A. Jackson, President & CEO, Verso Paper
- William B. Johnson, CEO, Johnson Timber Corporation
- Henry H. Ketcham III, Chairman, President & CEO, West Fraser Timber Co. Ltd
- John A. Luke, Jr., Chairman & CEO, MWV
- Patrick J. Moore, Chairman & CEO, Smurfit-Stone Container Corporation
- Robert H. Mullen, President & CEO, The Newark Group, Inc.
- David J. Paterson, President & CEO, AbitibiBowater Inc.
- Raymond Royer, President & CEO, Domtar Inc.
- David W. Scheible, President & CEO, Graphic Packaging Corporation
- Doyle R. Simons, Chairman & CEO, Temple-Inland Inc.
- David C. Southworth, President, Southworth Company
- Paul T. Stecko, Chairman & CEO, Packaging Corporation of America
- W. Thomas Stephens, Chairman & CEO, Boise Cascade, LLC
- Mark A. Suwyn, Chairman & CEO, NewPage Corporation
- Raymond P. Tennison, President, Simpson Investment Company
- Alexander Toeldte, President & CEO, Boise Inc
- Richard G. Verney, Chairman & CEO, Monadnock Paper Mills
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Roger Warren Stone - former chair
- Matthew Kaplan
- Business Council for Sustainable Development
- Dutko Worldwide
- Consumers Alliance for Affordable Natural Gas
- Conservation International
- Americans for Job Security
- The Energy Initiative
- American Council for Capital Formation
- Reason Foundation
- Alex Castellanos
- The Chemical Industry Institute of Toxicology
- Smith & Harroff
- Direct Impact
- North American Coalition on Green Building
- James Peterson (Director of Evergreen Foundation)
- Logging industry
- A. D. Correll, Jr.
- Red Cavaney
- Congo Basin Forest Partnership
- Natural Resources Council of America
- Bradley N. Currey, Jr.
- Rich Nolan
- John H. Dressendorfer