Anglo Coal is a the coal mining subsidiary of Anglo American. In 2008, Anglo Coal produced 99.5 million tonnes of coal. The company describes itself as "the world’s sixth largest private sector coal producer and exporter."
Coal mining interests
On its website, Anglo states that it has:
- owns and operates eight coal mines in South Africa and has a 50% interest in the Mafube mine. The eight mines are:
- Four in the Witbank coalfield. These are the Goedehoop mine, Greenside mine, Kleinkopje mine and Landau mine;
- the New Vaal mine, New Denmark mine and Kriel mine, which between them supply 35 million tonnes per annum to Eskom; and
- the Isibonelo mine, which supplies approximately 5 million tonnes per annum to Sasol Synthetic Fuels under a 20 year supply contract.
- one wholly owned mine, a controlling interest in another five in Australia (the German Creek mine, Moranbah North mine, Dawson mine and Jellinbah East mine and the Moura mine, and a 23% interest in the Jellinbah mine in Queensland. It also has a 70% interest in the Foxleigh mine in Queensland's Bowen Basin; In New South Wales it has the Drayton mine;
- a 33% shareholding in Cerrejon Coal in Colombia;
- a 25% interest in Carbones del Guasare (CDG) which owns and operates the Paso Diablo Mine in northern Venezuela;
- a 74% interest in Peace River Coal, which has one operating metallurgical coal mine and significant coal resources in western Canada; and
- a "60% interest in the Xiwan coal mine lease area in China, where the feasibility of developing the mine is under evaluation in conjunction with Anglo Coal’s joint venture partners, the Shaanxi Coal Geological Bureau."
Anglo Coal websites
- Anglo American (Coal) http://www.angloamerican.co.uk/aa/business/coal/
- Cerrejon http://www.cerrejoncoal.com/
- Anglo Coal Australia http://www.anglocoal.com.au/
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Australia and coal
- China and coal
- Colombia and coal
- South Africa and coal
- Venezuela and coal
- Ian Cockerill - former ceo
- Norman Mbazima - former cfo
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Coal: where we operate", Anglo American website, accessed July 2009.
- ↑ "Coal: Business overview", Anglo American 2008 annual report], accessed July 2009.
- ↑ "Coal: Overview", Anglo American website, accessed July 2009.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|