- 1 Record and controversies
- 2 Bio
- 3 Money in politics
- 4 Committees and affiliations
- 5 More background data
- 6 Former contact
- 7 Articles and resources
Record and controversies
For more information on environmental legislation, see the Energy and Environment Policy Portal
Gordon was born January 24, 1949 in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. He graduated from Middle Tennessee State University. Gordon was the state chairman of the Tennessee . When Sixth District Congressman Al Gore ran for the U. S. Senate in 1984, Gordon won a hard-fought race for Gore's former seat.
Gordon is frequently described as a moderate.
Gordon was reelected by large margins until 1994, when his Republican opponent was attorney Steve Gill], a former University of Tennessee basketball player who is now a radio talk show host. Gordon only won by one percentage point, but managed to defeat Gill more handily in 1996. Gordon was re-elected by large margins in 1998 and 2000. He faced no significant opposition in 2002 and 2004, in large part because the 2002 reapportionment by the Democratic-controlled Tennessee General Assembly removed Williamson County, a large suburban area south of Nashville which is very strongly conservative and Republican, from the Sixth Congressional District and added it to the already overwhelmingly-Republican Seventh District. That district is now represented by Marsha Blackburn, a Williamson County resident who was Gordon's opponent in 1992.
Money in politics
This section contains links to – and feeds from – money in politics databases. <crpcontribdata>cid=N00003126&cycle=2006</crpcontribdata>
|Links to more campaign contribution information for Bart Gordon
from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org site.
|Fundraising profile:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by organization/corporation:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by industry:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
- Revolving door profile for Bart Gordon from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- 2006 privately funded travel profile for Bart Gordon from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- Personal finance profile for Bart Gordon from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
Committees and affiliations
- House Committee on Energy and Commerce
- Subcommittee on Health
- Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet
- House Committee on Science and Technology, Chair
- Subcommittee on Environment and Energy
- Subcommittee on Investigations and Oversight
- Subcommittee on Research and Science Education
- Subcommittee on Space and Aeronautics
- Subcommittee on Technology and Innovation
More background data
District Office- Cookeville:
15 South Jefferson
Cookeville, TN 38501
District Office- Gallatin:
100 Public Square, Room B-100
Gallatin, TN 37066
District Office- Murfreesboro:
305 West Maple Street
Murfreesboro, TN 37130
District Office- Springfield:
101 Fifth Avenue West, Suite D
Springfield, TN 37172
Articles and resources
- Bart Gordon profile, The Washington Post, accessed January 2011.
Local blogs and discussion sites
|Current Office: U.S. House of Representatives|
Ranking Member On:
Ranking Member On:
|Committees: House Committee on Energy and Commerce, House Committee on Energy and Commerce/Subcommittee on Health, House Committee on Energy and Commerce/Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet, House Committee on Science and Technology|
|First Elected to Current Office:
November 6, 1984
|First Took Current Office:
January 3, 1985
November 2, 2010
|Previous Political Work?
|Other Party Membership:|
|Zip Code Affiliations:|
Date of Birth: January 24, 1949