This article is part of the Center for Media & Democracy's spotlight on global corporations.
Biogen Idec is pharmaceutical and biotechnology company headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It was created by the 2003 merger of Biogen, Inc., founded in 1978, and IDEC Pharmaceuticals, founded in 1985.  Company products include the best seller multiple sclerosis drug Avonex. Other products include Rituxan, a monoclonal antibody developed with Genentech to treat B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL), rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis. Also the Crohn's disease drug Tysabri and Fumaderm, a psoriasis drug marketed in Germany. Biogen Idec has customers in over 90 countries.
In the fiscal year ending in December of 2009, Biogen reported sales of approximately $4.38 billion dollars and had 4,750 employees. 
Biogen Idec does animal testing.
Facility information, progress reports & USDA-APHIS reports
For links to copies of this facility's U.S. Department of Agriculture-Animal Plant Health Inspection (APHIS) reports, other information and links, see also Research Facilities: Biogen Idec, Inc., San Diego, CA.
USDA AWA reports
As of May 26, 2009, the USDA began posting all inspection reports for animal breeders, dealers, exhibitors, handlers, research facilities and animal carriers by state. See also USDA Animal Welfare Inspection Reports.
Executives & board
- Bruce Ross - Chairman
- James Mullen - President, CEO & director
- Robert Hamm - COO 
- Bruce R. Ross, Chairman of Biogen Idec
- James C. Mullen, Chief Executive Officer of Biogen Idec
- Lawrence C. Best, Director
- Marijn E. Dekkers, Ph.D., Director
- Alan B. Glassberg, M.D., Director
- Thomas F. Keller, Director
- Robert W. Pangia, Director
- Cecil B. Pickett, Ph.D., Director
- Lynn Schenk, Director
- Philip A. Sharp, Ph.D., Director
- William D. Young, Director 
14 Cambridge Center
Cambridge, MA 02142
Web address: http://www.biogenidec.com
Articles & sources
- About Biogen Idec, Biogen Idec, accessed July 27, 2007
- Company Description: Biogen Idec, Hoovers, accessed April 2010
- Facility Reports and Information: Research Facilities: Biogen Idec, Inc., San Diego, CA, Stop Animal Experimentation NOW!, accessed January 2011
- Company Description: Biogen Idec, Hoovers, accessed December 2009
- Board of Directors, BiogenIDEC, accessed July 2007