According to Congressional expenditure reports, Bassett served as staff director of the House Intelligence Committee while Porter J. Goss, who resigned May 6, 2006, as director of the Central Intelligence Agency, was committee chairman, Nico Pitney reported May 8, 2006, for Think Progress.
"So," Pitney wrote, "there are now two powerful Goss aides," Bassett and Kyle Dustin "Dusty" Foggo, that "were squarely within" Brent R. Wilkes's "sphere of influence and are linked to parties being aggressively investigated by the FBI."
Related SourceWatch Resources
- Dean Calbreath, "Co-conspirator's possible links to prostitutes eyed," San Diego Union-Tribune, April 28, 2006.
- "Names Like 'Nine Fingers' and Dusty Foggo Make Even Gov't Contracting Interesting," Project on Government Oversight (POGO), April 28, 2006.
- Justin Rood, ""Nine Fingers," Poker-Playing CIA Man, I.D.'d," TPM Muckraker, May 7, 2006.
- Nico Pitney, "The Importance of ‘Nine Fingers’: Second Powerful Goss Aide Linked to Wilkes Parties," Think Progress, May 8, 2006.
- Justin Rood, "Goss Staffer Took $5K Payment from Wilkes," TPM Muckraker, May 9, 2006.