|This is a profile of a U.S. Representative. (See the Georgia portal for all incumbents, candidates and blogs.)|
- 1 Record and controversies
- 2 Biography
- 3 Money in politics
- 4 Committees and Affiliations
- 5 More Background Data
- 6 Contact
- 7 Articles and resources
Record and controversies
For more information on environmental legislation, see the Energy and Environment Policy Portal
Johnson grew up in Washington, DC, the son of the highest ranking African American then serving in the Bureau of Prisons. He graduated from Clark College (now Clark Atlanta University) and Texas Southern University's Thurgood Marshall Law School. He is married to Mereda Davis Johnson and has two children.
Johnson has practiced law for 25 years, with a focus on criminal and civil litigation. He gained a degree of prominence early in his career when he successfully won the exoneration of He also served as Associate Judge of the Magistrate Court of DeKalb County for ten years. in 2001, he was elected a DeKalb County Commissioner, a job he held until running for Congress in 2006.
Johnson challenged incumbent Rep. Cynthia McKinney in the Democratic primary. In the initial round of voting, she received 47.1% of the vote; Johnson 44.4%. The failure of both candidates to earn a majority of the vote triggered a run off. Johnson won the run off fairly easily (59%-41%) and became the Democratic Party's nominee for Congress, nearly assuring him a seat given the make up of his district.
|This information was gathered by volunteer researchers as part of the Superdelegate Transparency Project on the superdelegates for the 2008 Democratic presidential primary. For more info see the Georgia superdelegate tracker or visit the STP homepage.|
Money in politics
This section contains links to – and feeds from – money in politics databases. <crpcontribdata>cid=N00027848&cycle=2006</crpcontribdata>
|Links to more campaign contribution information for Hank Johnson
from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org site.
|Fundraising profile:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by organization/corporation:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by industry:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
- Revolving door profile for Hank Johnson from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- 2006 privately funded travel profile for Hank Johnson from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- Personal finance profile for Hank Johnson from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
Committees and Affiliations
- House Committee on Armed Services
- Subcommittee on Air and Land Forces
- Subcommittee on Strategic Forces
- House Committee on the Judiciary
- Subcommittee on Commercial and Administrative Law
- Subcommittee on Courts, the Internet, and Intellectual Property
- Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security
- House Committee on Small Business
- Subcommittee on Finance and Tax
- Subcommittee on Rural and Urban Entrepreneurship
More Background Data
District Office South:
5700 Hillandale Dr.
Lithonia, GA 30058
Phone: (770) 987-2291
Fax: (770) 987-8721
District Office North:
3469 Lawrenceville Highway
Tucker, Georgia 30084
Phone: (770) 939-2016
Fax: (770) 939-3753
Articles and resources
- Hank Johnson for Congress, official campaign site.
Local blogs and discussion sites
- Jenny Jarvie, "Georgia Rep. McKinney Loses Democratic Runoff," Los Angeles Times, August 9, 2006.
- "McKinney beaten but unbowed," Associated Press (CNN), August 9, 2006.
- Sarah Wheaton, "A Congressman, a Muslim and a Buddhist Walk Into a Bar...," New York Times - The Caucus blog, January 2, 2007.
|Current Office: U.S. House of Representatives|
Ranking Member On:
Ranking Member On:
|Committees: House Committee on Armed Services, House Committee on Armed Services/Subcommittee on Air and Land Forces, House Committee on Armed Services/Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations, House Committee on Armed Services/Subcommittee on Strategic Forces, House Committee on the Judiciary, House Committee on the Judiciary/Subcommittee on Commercial and Administrative Law, House Committee on the Judiciary/Subcommittee on Courts the Internet and Intellectual Property, House Committee on the Judiciary/Subcommittee on Crime Terrorism and Homeland Security, House Committee on Small Business, House Committee on Small Business/Subcommittee on Rural and Urban Entrepreneurship, House Committee on Small Business/Subcommittee on Finance and Tax,|
|First Elected to Current Office:
November 7, 2006
|First Took Current Office:
January 4, 2007
November 2, 2010
|Previous Political Work?
DeKalb County Commissioner
|Other Party Membership:|
|Zip Code Affiliations:|
Date of Birth: October 2, 1954