Iain Murray is Director of Projects and Analysis and Senior Fellow in Energy, Science and Technology at the Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI), an industry funded think tank headquartered in the U.S. and is a Visiting Fellow at the UK think tank, the Adam Smith Institute. Prior to starting at CEI in Murray was Senior Analyst and then Director of Research at the Statistical Assessment Service, a project of the conservative media group, the Center for Media and Public Affairs (CMPA).
Murray is a frequent media commentator on global warming and "sound science". A biographical note states that he "contributes to National Review Online's Corner and Planet Gore blogs, The Commons Blog and CEI's own OpenMarket." It also states that his articles have "appeared in The New York Post, Investors Business Daily, the Financial Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Examiner and many other newspapers. He has appeared on Fox News, CNN Headline News, the BBC and Al-Jazeera among other broadcast appearences."
The Brussels-based free newspaper EU Reporter regularly publishes his editorials on climate change. These articles are written as news stories and they don't specify that Murray is involved in advocacy activities for groups such as the CEI.
On Global Warming
Tim Lambert has shown Iain Murray has continued to make incorrect statements, even after being informed that they are incorrect:
- More Risky Business: Murray claims that epidemiologists believe risk factors less than two should be ignored. An epidemiologist writes in and corrects him. Afterwards, Murray repeats his claim in another forum.
- Iain Murray, at it again: Murray speculates about a cause of global warming that is easy to test. When tested, the cause proves not to be a factor.
A biographical note states that Murray "emigrated to the US in 1997, after having worked at the British Department of Transport, advising Ministers on railroad privatization, the role of private finance in infrastructure investment and the role of transportation in the economic development of London" and that he "holds a BA and MA from the University of Oxford, an MBA from the University of London and the Diploma of Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine."
- Competitive Enterprise Institute, Senior Fellow in International Policy;
- Civitas, Visiting Fellow;
- Anglosphere Institute, Director and Co-founder; and
- Tech Central Station, columnist.
Articles and Resources
Related SourceWatch Articles
- "Iain Murray", Competitive Enterprise Institute, undated, accessed August 2008.