International Peace Operations Association
The International Peace Operations Association is a private security firm established in 2001 and based in Washington, D.C.
IPOA, the Association of the Stability Operations Industry, is a non-profit trade association seeking to increase the role of the private sector in defense and peace related services. IPOA was founded by Doug Brooks in April 2001 and currently represents 60 companies.
Brooks is an advocate of ethics, industry standards, regulation and transparency. Representing the industry and working with lawmakers on such regulations, Brooks is a lead advocate for legitimizing the further role of the private sector in peace and military endeavors.
On January 18, 2010, six days after the earthquake in Haiti, independent journalist Jeremy Scahill wrote:
The Orwellian-named mercenary trade group, the International Peace Operations Association, didn’t waste much time in offering the “services” of its member companies to swoop down on Haiti for some old fashioned humanitarian assistance disaster profiteering. Within hours of the massive earthquake in Haiti, the IPOA created a special web page for prospective clients, saying: “In the wake of the tragic events in Haiti, a number of IPOA’s member companies are available and prepared to provide a wide variety of critical relief services to the earthquake’s victims.”
The IPOA state states that each of its members is a "signatory to the IPOA Code of Conduct pledges to abide by the high ethical standards established therein." On its website IPOS lists its members, as of July 2009, as comprising: Full Members:
- American Glass Products
- Arkel International
- Burton Rands Associates
- Crowell & Moring LLP
- CTG Global
- Cyrus Strategies LLP
- DLA Piper LLP
- Dreshak North America
- DynCorp International
- Ecolog International
- EOD Technology, Inc.
- Exploration Logistics Group
- FSI Worldwide
- Ge2b Seguridad Internacional
- Global Fleet Sales
- Global Operations Resources Group, Inc.
- GlobeComm Systems, Inc.
- Gold Coast Helicopters
- Holland & Hart LLP
- Insitu, Inc.
- International Armored Group
- J-3 Global Services
- Mission Essential Personnel
- Medical Support Solutions
- New Century
- Olive Group
- Overseas Lease Group
- Pax Mondial
- Paxton International
- RA International
- Reed, Inc.
- Securiforce International
- Securiguard, Inc.
- Security Support Solutions (3S)
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon LLP
- SkyLink USA
- SOS International, Inc.
- Swift Freight International
- Tangiers International
- Threat Management Group
- TOIFOR GmbH
- Triple Canopy
- Unity Resources Group
- URS Corporation, EG&G Division
- Whitney, Bradley & Brown, Inc.
- Doug Brooks: President and founder
- J. J. Messner: Director
- Jared Lawyer: Business Development Manager
As of July 2009. IPOA lists its Executive Committee as comprising:
- Hank Allen, MPRI, Chair
- Pieter De Weerdt, Medical Support Solutions, East Wellow, United Kingdom, Vice-Chair,
- Tracy Badock, Overseas Lease Group, New Jersey, United States
- Jeff Dakers, Security Support Solutions, Toronto, Canada
- Mark Dewitt, Triple Canopy, Washington, D.C., United States
- Joe Mayo, EOD Technology, Inc., Washington, D.C., United States
- Mel Smith, Paxton International, Washington, D.C., United States
- John South, DynCorp International, Arlington, Virginia, United States
- Doug Brooks (Treasurer, ex-officio), International Peace Operations Association, Washington, D.C., United States
Former Exexutive committee memebers
- Jim Schmitt (Vice President ArmorGroup): Chair
- Joe Mayo (EOD Technology): Vice-Chair
- Bill Clontz (Vice President MPRI): Deputy Vice-Chair
- Pieter de Weerdt (Medical Support Services): Member at large
- John Blackton (Senior Strategic Advisor to the Creative Center for Security and Stabilization): Member at large
- Simon Falkner (COO Hart Security): Member at large
1634 I St. NW, Suite 800
Washington DC 20006
phone: (202) 464 0721
fax: (202) 464 0726
email: IPOA at IPOAonline dot org
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- ↑ International Peace Operations Association Web site, FAQs page, accessed January 20, 2010
- ↑ Jeremy Scahill US "Security" Companies Offer "Services" in Haiti, RebelReports.com, Blog, January 18, 2010
- ↑ International Peace Operations Association, "Current IPOA Corporate Membership List", International Peace Operations Association website, accessed July 2009.
- ↑ International Peace Operations Association. "IPOA Executive Committee 2009", International Peace Operations Association website, accessed July 2009.