Jerome R. Corsi is best known as the co-author of the book Unfit for Command with John E. O'Neill, which played a key role in the election year attack on the war record of Democratic Presidential hopeful John Kerry by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. In August 2008, he released a book critical of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.
A biographical note at WorldNetDaily, where Corsi is a staff writer, states that he "received a Ph.D. from Harvard University in political science in 1972" and that he "is an expert on political violence and terrorism".
Corsi also serves as editor of WorldNetDaily's "Red Alert," described as a "weekly online global financial strategies newsletter.
After the November 2004 Presidential election, Corsi emerged as one of the leading advocates for the U.S. government to take a hard line with the Iranian government. A January 2005 article in the Financial Times (UK) described Corsi as a "prominent backer" of the Alliance for Democracy in Iran: "He believes the freeze on nuclear development agreed between Iran and the European Union will collapse by March and that Israel, supported by the US, will then launch military strikes," it stated.
During the 2006 election season, Corsi co-wrote a book with J. Kenneth Blackwell, an African American who was running for Ohio governor. In the fall of 2006, Corsi wrote numerous columns for WorldNetDaily attacking Blackwell's opponent, Ted Strickland. Corsi denied coordination with or compensation from Blackwell's campaign for writing the articles.
Corsi has been a booster of the Minuteman Project, even co-authoring a book with founder Jim Gilchrist, but Corsi has had an apparent falling out with Gilchrist after Gilchrist endorsed Mike Huckabee for president. Corsi used articles he wrote for WorldNetDaily to prod Gilchrist into retracting his endorsement.
Corsi has also been an activist against the "North American Union", joining a coalition of fellow conservatives to fight against what they argue is a plan to create a free trade zone across North America--without providing credible evidence of such a conspiracy.
Attacks on Barack Obama
In August 2008, Corsi published The Obama Nation, a book highly critical of Barack Obama. Media Matters for America, PolitiFact.com, and Obama's campaign found numerous errors in the book. Corsi responded by claiming that critics "failed to prove a single falsehood contained in pages of the book," even though at the same time he issued several "corrections to the next printing" of the book.
In October 2008, Corsi went to Kenya "at the invitation of Christian missionaries" worried about "the rise of Islam" there, further claiming that he was going "to investigate Sen. Barack Obama's ties to the prime minister, Raila Odinga." While in Kenya, Corsi attempted to hold a press conference in which he planned to announce evidence of purported ties between Obama and Odinga, but "police shut down" the press conference before it was to begin, and Corsi and his publicist were detained for several hours. The two were released several hours later and allowed to board their previously scheduled flight out of Kenya. Corsi blamed Obama for his brief detention, telling one radio host to "call Barack's office and ask him why I'm being detained," adding, "[I]t's pretty dangerous to write a critical book of Barack Obama." Corsi later wrote numerous article for WorldNetDaily touting the evidence he obtained to support his claims of ties between Obama and Odinga.
Corsi cited a pair of emails purportedly written by Obama setting up an Obama aide as a liaison between Obama and Odinga,but according to the Politico, the emails "appear not to have been written by a native English speaker, unless 'I will kindly wish...' is a phrase I'm just unfamiliar with. They have the unmistakable flavor of solicitations from dying African princes, who need only your bank account details to make you wealthy beyond measure." Corsi also presented a document to support the claim that Obama donated "nearly $1 million" to the campaign of "foreign thug" Odinga, but PolitiFact.com debunked the claim months earlier,and the document that Corsi presented as evidence of the claim is markedly different from the document PolitiFact used, even though both contain the same information. Corsi's overall claims that Obama had a close relationship with Odinga have also been debunked.
- The Obama Nation: Leftist Politics and the Cult of Personality, Threshold Editions, August 2008, ISBN 1416598065.
- The Late Great USA: The Coming Merger With Mexico and Canada, WND Books, July 2007, ISBN 0979045142.
- With Jim Gilchrist (and foreword by Congressman Tom Tancredo), Minutemen: The Battle to Secure America's Borders , World Ahead Publishing; 1st edition (Hardcover), July 2006, ISBN 0977898415.
- With J. Kenneth Blackwell, Rebuilding America: A Prescription for Creating Strong Families, Building the Wealth of Working People, and Ending Welfare, WND Books, May 2006 (Hardcover) ISBN 1581825013.
- With Craig R. Smith, Black Gold Stranglehold, WND Books, October 2005, ISBN 1581824890.
- Atomic Iran: How the Terrorist Regime Bought The Bomb and American Politicians, WND Books, April 2005. ISBN 1581824580. Amazon.com
- With John E. O'Neill and Jeff Riggenbach, Unfit for Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry, Regnery Publishing, August 2004. ISBN 0895260174. Amazon.com
- Other books by Jerome R. Corsi listed at Amazon.com.
- Email: jcorsi AT wintersoldier.com
- Email: jcorsi AT worldnetdaily.com
Related SourceWatch Resources
- Coalition to Block the North American Union
- Iran Freedom Foundation
- Minuteman Project
- North American Union
- North American Competitiveness Council
- Swift Boat Veterans for Truth
- U.S. National Guard Troops along the U.S.-Mexico border
- ↑ Jerome Corsi, "Soros supports mullahs: The left embraces yet another enemy," WorldNetDaily, January 14, 2005; accessed August 7, 2008.
- ↑ Red Alert newsletter, WorldNetDaily.com, accessed August 7, 2008.
- ↑ Terry Krepel, Single-Minded Smears", ConWebWatch, October 26, 2006.
- ↑ Terry Krepel, "In Bed -- And Out of Bed -- With Sources", ConWebWatch, January 24, 2008.
- ↑ "Unfit for Publication: Corsi's The Obama Nation filled with falsehoods," Media Matters for America, August 4, 2008.
- ↑ "Errors abound in anti-Obama book,", PolitiFact.com, August 20, 2008.
- ↑ "Unfit for Publication: An Investigative Report on the Lies in Jerome Corsi's 'Obama Nation,'" FightTheSmears.com, August 14, 2008.
- ↑ Jerome Corsi, "Corsi rebuts Obama's 'Unfit for Publication," WorldNetDaily, September 7, 2008.
- ↑ "Even as Obama Nation author Corsi claimed Obama campaign didn't "prove a single falsehood," he corrected several of them," Media Matters for America, September 8, 2008.
- ↑ "WND's Corsi in Kenya to probe Obama ties," WorldNetDaily, October 2, 2008.
- ↑ "Reports to confirm Obama's ties to ally of Muslims," WorldNetDaily, October 7, 2008.
- ↑ "Kenya holds Corsi 'incommunicado'", WorldNetDaily, October 7, 2008.
- ↑ "Sendoff to Corsi: 'See you in hell,'" WorldNetDaily, October 8, 2008.
- ↑ "Calling in to Quinn & Rose from Kenya, Corsi said of his detention: 'Call Barack's office and ask him why I'm being detained,'" Media Matters for America, October 8, 2008.
- ↑ Jerome Corsi, Proof Obama backed Odinga," WorldNetDaily, October 10, 2008.
- ↑ Ben Smith, "Breaking: Obama's native language not actually English," Politico, October 10, 2008.
- ↑ Jerome Corsi, "Obama raised $1 million for foreign thug's election," WorldNetDaily, October 14, 2008.
- ↑ "'Not a cent' from unrelated Obama," PolitiFact.com, April 18, 2008.
- ↑ Terry Krepel, "Jerome Corsi's Bogus Journey," ConWebWatch, October 20, 2008.
- ↑ "Obama did not take sides in Kenya," PolitiFact.com, August 1, 2008.
- Jerome Corsi postings Postings and Replies, Free Republic, accessed July 2006. Jerome R. Corsi = jrlc on Free Republic.
- Jerome Corsi news archive, WorldNetDaily.
- Jerome Corsi column archive, WorldNetDaily.
- "MMFA investigates: Who is Jerome Corsi, co-author of Swift Boat Vets attack book?" Media Matters for America, August 6, 2004.
- "Carville: 'In the world of putrid right-wing pond scum, Corsi is one of the biggest bottom-feeders of them all'" and "Corsi apologized 'if anybody was offended' by slurs; vanished from Hannity & Colmes lineup," Media Matters for America, August 11, 2004.
- "Unfit book materials show Corsi more than just an 'editor'" and "Savage on Corsi's bigotry: 'Is that racist? ... Is that offensive to you? ... I don't see a problem ....'," Media Matters for America, August 12, 2004.
- "Corsi attempted to defend Unfit for Command after Kerry called book 'a pack of lies'," Media Matters for America, September 14, 2004.
- "Discredited Unfit co-author Corsi now a WorldNetDaily columnist," Media Matters for America, October 1, 2004.
- "Corsi distorted Kerry's Iran plan; suggested Kerry accepted bribes," Media Matters for America, October 22, 2004.
- Guy Dinmore, "Neocons turn their attention to Iran", Financial Times, January 18, 2005.
- "UPI reported that discredited Unfit for Command co-author Jerome Corsi is pondering Senate run against Kerry, but left out key facts," Media Matters for America, January 25, 2005.
- "Carpetbagger Corsi wrong about Massachusetts voters," Media Matters for America, January 28, 2005.
- "'The Point' peddled discredited anti-Kerry author Corsi's new book," Media Matters for America, February 9, 2005.
- Terry Krepel, "Swiftly False Revisionism", ConWebWatch, February 15, 2006.
- Chuck Baldwin, "My radio interview with Jerome Corsi," RenewAmerica, June 23, 2006.
- Alex Koppelman, "U.S. to merge with Mexico and Canada?", Salon.com, July 16, 2007.
- Alex Koppelman, "The ballad of Ramos and Compean", Salon.com, September 5, 2007.
- Terry Krepel, "In Bed -- And Out of Bed -- With Sources," ConWebWatch, January 24, 2008.
- "Obama did not take sides in Kenya," PolitiFact.com, August 1, 2008.
- "Unfit for Publication: Corsi's The Obama Nation filled with falsehoods," Media Matters for America, August 4, 2008.
- "Confronted by Brewer over falsehood, Corsi responds with two more," Media Matters for America, August 6, 2008.
- Jim Rutenberg and Julie Bosman, "Book Attacking Obama Hopes to Repeat ’04 Anti-Kerry Feat," The New York Times, August 13, 2008.
- Kenneth P. Vogel, "Wild theories of 'Obama Nation' author," Politico, August 13, 2008.
- John K. Wilson, "Jerome Corsi's Lies: Inside The Deceptions Of The Best-Selling Anti-Obama Book," Huffington Post, August 14, 2008.
- "Unfit for Publication: An Investigative Report on the Lies in Jerome Corsi's 'Obama Nation,'" BarackObama.com, August 14, 2008.
- Andrew Romano (August 15, 2008). "Sheridan: Can Obama be 'Swiftboated'?", Newsweek.
- "'The Nation's Deathbed' documentary on SPP ... + *CORSI*?," "ThisCanadian," August 6, 2008.
- "Errors abound in anti-Obama book,", PolitiFact.com, August 20, 2008.
- Brian C. Mooney, "Failed venture follows anti-Obama author," The Boston Globe, August 20, 2008.
- Terry Krepel, "Jerome Corsi's Bogus Journey," ConWebWatch, October 20, 2008.
- Terry Krepel, "Jerome Corsi, Badly Trained Economist," ConWebWatch, March 4, 2009.