Johnson, Madigan, Peck, Boland & Stewart
Johnson, Madigan, Peck, Boland & Stewart is a Washington, D.C.-based lobbying firm.
Working for Colombia
In November 2006, Jeffrey J. Pech, the President of the Washington D.C. lobbying firm Johnson, Madigan, Peck, Boland & Stewart, notified the U.S. Department of Justice that his firm had negotiated a tentative agreement with ProExport Combia, the Colombian government trade bureau, "to assist in the passing of a free trade agreement." The agreement was specified to run for 50 days from the date that the contract was signed at a cost of $50,000. The proposed terms of the consultancy included some that are very similar objectives with those that ProExport negotiated with the Glover Park Group. In particular, the agreement required the lobbying firm to:
- "Identify the public opinion in relation to the temporary renewal of the ATPDEA [Andean Trade Preference and Drug Eradication Act] preferences and the approval of the TPA in the United States Congress, and specially the groups that are interested in using their influence in favor or against them"
- "Identify the significant issues (positive and negative) to everyone involved in the decision making process"
- "Based on a carefully elaborated diagnostic, and bearing in mind that Colombia's main objective is the implementation of the TPA, propose to the Colombia government a comprehensive government relations strategy aimed at the temporary renewal of the ATPDEA preferences and the approval of the TPA in the United States Congress as soon as possible".
- "Identify within the press, the Congress, the academy, business leaders and in general the United States society, speakers and leaders that can help the Government of Colombia to transmit its arguments and priorities in relation to the ATPDEA and the TPA";
- "Implement the strategy for the above objectives, working closely with Colombian Government teams in Washington DC and in Colombia. This includes the necessary contacts and actions to promote support for the temporary renewal of the ATPDEA preferences and the approval of the TPA in Congress of the United States"
In early November 2006, Peter Thomas Madigan from the lobbying firm submitted an addendum to the contract which specified that the duration of the contract would run until June 27, 2007 with the value of the contract increased from $51,000 to $273,000. This was amended later still to a total of $240,000. In January 2008 the duration of the contract was extended until June 27th, 2008.
On its website the firm states that its clients have included
Our Clients have included:
- ACE INA
- Adelphia Communications
- Alliance for Quality Nursing Home Care, Inc.
- Altria Corporate Services
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- American Insurance Association
- Applied Biosystems
- Arctic Power
- Bank of New York
- BellSouth Corporation
- Brooklyn Philharmonic & Symphonic Orchestra
- Brooklyn Public Library
- Business Roundtable
- Charles Schwab & Company, Inc.
- Cisco Systems
- Committee on Capital Markets Regulation
- County of Nassau, New York
- Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Delta Dental Plans Association
- Dubai - a two-year, $25,000 per month contract "to provide government relations and lobbying services to promote 'Brand Dubai'," according to O'Dwyer's 
- Electronic Payments Coalition
- Fannie Mae
- Hong Kong Trade Development Council
- International Employee Stock Options Coalition
- Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Microsoft Corporation
- National Music Publishers' Association
- New Castle County, Delaware
- New York Hall of Science
- New York Software Industry Association
- New Zealand - United States Business Council
- NYSE Group
- Organization for International Investment
- PMX Industries
- Poongsan Corporation
- Private Equity Council
- ProExport / Colombia
- Republic of Panama - Ministry of Trade and Industry
- State of Iowa
- Third Way
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Verizon Wireless
- Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation
- Wilmer Culter Pickering Hale and Dorr, LLP
1300 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: (202) 775-8116
Fax: (202) 223-0358
Email: info AT jmp-dc.com
- ↑ "Exhibit B; Registration Statement Pursuant to the Foreign Agents Registration Act of 1938, as amended", November 17, 2006, page 1.
- ↑ "Exhibit B; Registration Statement Pursuant to the Foreign Agents Registration Act of 1938, as amended", January 24, 2008, page 3.
- ↑ "Clients: We believe our clients should know the people in power personally", Johnson, Madigan, Peck, Boland & Stewart, accessed April 2008.
- ↑ "'Brand Dubai' Worth $25K Monthly," O'Dwyer's PR Daily (sub req'd), June 16, 2008.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|