- 1 Record and controversies
- 2 Bio
- 3 Money in politics
- 4 Committees and affiliations
- 5 Articles and resources
Record and controversies
Fundraising calls made from congressional office
In October of 2006, a former aide to Porter stated that he had allegedly witnessed the congressman making phone calls to potential political donors at least five separate times during the spring of that year. He allegedly e-mailed Porter's chief of staff about his concerns about the legality and possible ramifications of such actions. The aide in question only notified the media of the alleged "phone calls" ONLY after he was fired for actions not relating to the alleged phone calls. When asked to provide evidence of the calls or email, he could not produce any. House rules prevent any campaigning or fundraising being carried out from congressional offices. 
Porter was born May 16, 1955 in Fort Dodge, Iowa. He attended Briar Cliff College, and worked in his family business before being elected to the Boulder City, Nevada, City Council in 1983, and in the same year becoming an agent for Farmer's Insurance. He was elected Mayor of Boulder City in 1987 and served in that capacity until 1991.
Porter served in the Nevada State Senate from 1994 to 2002, when he was elected to the U.S. House to represent Nevada's newly created Third District. The new district includes Las Vegas suburbs, a result of rapid growth in the southern part of the state.
Porter is a member of the moderate Republican Main Street Partnership.
Money in politics
This section contains links to – and feeds from – money in politics databases. <crpcontribdata>cid=N00012560&cycle=2006</crpcontribdata>
|Links to more campaign contribution information for Jon Porter
from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org site.
|Fundraising profile:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by organization/corporation:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by industry:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
- Revolving door profile for Jon Porter from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- 2006 privately funded travel profile for Jon Porter from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- Personal finance profile for Jon Porter from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
Committees and affiliations
- House Committee on Ways and Means
- Subcommittee on Income Security and Family Support
- House Committee on Budget
Committee assignments in the 109th Congress (2005-2006)
- House Committee on Education and the Workforce
- Subcommittee on 21st Century Competitiveness
- Subcommittee on Select Education
- House Committee on Government Reform
- Subcommittee on Federal Workforce and Agency Organization - Chair
- Subcommittee on National Security Emerging Threats and International Relations
- House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
- Subcommittee on Aviation
- Subcommittee on Highways Transit and Pipelines
- Subcommittee on Railroads
Coalitions and caucuses
Boards and other Affiliations
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Institute for Insurance and Risk Management
- Nellis Air Force Base Civilian Military Council
- Board of Directors, Nevada League of Cities
- Charter Board Member, Southern Nevada Water Authority
- Western Insurance Information Service/ Nevada Insurance Council
Articles and resources
- Jon Porter, Sr. profile, Govtrack.us, accessed January 2011.
- Official website
- Campaign website
- FWAO Committee site
- Open Secrets - 2006 congressional races database
Related SourceWatch articles
- "Rep. Porter points out the ‘danger of blogs’," Think Progress, August 27, 2007.
Local blogs and discussion sites
|Current Office: None|
Ranking Member On:
Ranking Member On:
Republican Main Street Partnership
|Committees: House Committee on Budget, House Committee on Ways and Means, House Committee on Ways and Means/Subcommittee on Income Security and Family Support|
|First Elected to Current Office:
November 5, 2002
|First Took Current Office:
January 3, 2003
January 3, 2009
|Previous Political Work?
U.S. House of Representatives, Nevada Senate, Mayor and City Councilman, Boulder City
|Other Party Membership:|
|Zip Code Affiliations:|
Date of Birth: May 16, 1955