Record and controversies
Kirk voted for the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002 that started the Iraq War.
On November 5, 2005, while speaking at Northwestern University, Kirk stated that he is "O-K with discrimination against young Arab males from terrorist-producing states." Despite calls from American-Muslim groups and other politicians for an apology and retraction, Kirk stood by his statement. He acknowledged the statement was "politically uncomfortable".
Kirk was born on September 15, 1959 in Champaign, Illinois. He attended the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Cornell University, received a Masters Degree from the London School of Economics, and a Juris Doctor degree from the Jesuit-run Georgetown University.
He serves as an officer in the United States Naval Reserves. He received "the Vice Admiral Rufus L. Taylor Award, was given to his unit while it was in Italy. Navy officers make the nominations for the award, which is given by a professional organization known as the National Military Intelligence Association," not "intelligence officer of the year" as has been reported elsewhere. 
Kirk was a lawyer, a staff member for Representative John Edward Porter, a special assistant at the Department of State, and a staff member for the House International Relations Committee before entering the House.
In 2006, the Democrats nominated Dan Seals to face Kirk in his November 2006 bid for reelection. (See U.S. congressional elections in 2006)  Kirk won 53% to 47%. Kirk and Seals debated only once. A second debate was scheduled but Seals dropped out at the last minute. 
In 2008, Kirk won reelection to his House seat by beating Democratic opponent Dan Seals.
Money in politics
This section contains links to – and feeds from – money in politics databases. <crpcontribdata>cid=N00012539&cycle=2006</crpcontribdata>
|Links to more campaign contribution information for Mark Kirk
from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org site.
|Fundraising profile:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by organization/corporation:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by industry:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
- Revolving door profile for Mark Kirk from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- 2006 privately funded travel profile for Mark Kirk from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- Personal finance profile for Mark Kirk from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
Committees and affiliations
- House Committee on Appropriations
- Subcommittee on Financial Services
- Subcommittee on Homeland Security
- Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations
Committee assignments in the 109th Congress (2005-2006)
- House Committee on Appropriations
- Subcommittee on Foreign Operations Export Financing and Related Programs
- Subcommittee on Military Quality of Life and Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies
- Subcommittee on Science State Justice and Commerce and Related Agencies
Coalitions and caucuses
- Republican Main Street Partnership
- The Republican Majority for Choice
- Republicans for Environmental Protection
- Public Advisory Committee, Population Institute
- U.S. Committee for Human Rights in North Korea - Board of directors
- Director, National Endowment for Democracy
- Director, Population Resource Center 
More background data
Articles and resources
- Official website
- Campaign website
- News videos about Mark Kirk
- At Center Network videos pertaining to Kirk
- "Kirk Walks Away" (7-10-2007)
- "Mark Kirk Singalong" (7-20-2006)
- "Scaring The Jews" (6-5-2006)
- "Censorship" (5-22-2006)
- "Suburban Agenda" (5-28-2006)
- "Politics vs. Child Safety" (5-15-2006)
- "Republican At Work" (1-26-2006)
- "Moral Budget Vigil" (12-19-2005)
- "1000th Day of Iraq War" (12-14-2005)
- "Racial Profiling" (11-22-2005)
- "Budget Demonstration" (11-16-2005)
- "Cindy In Deerfield" (9-12-2005)
- "Petition Delivery" (6-1-2005)
- Open Secrets congressional race database
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Mark Kirk profile, The Washington Post, accessed January 2011.
- ↑ Roll call vote, Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002.
- ↑ About, Population Resource Center, accessed September 16, 2008.
- Chicago Pride Federal Hate Crimes Bill Re-Introduced in Congress March 22, 2007
- Dr. Richard Benkin House Resolution 64 Passes Overwhelmingly: Demand to Drop Charges against Bangladeshi Journalist Now Official US Policy Asian Tribune 3-15-07
- Jim Newton "Funding sought for Waukegan Harbor cleanup" Waukegan News Sun
- Andrew Wang "Governor leaves out harbor" Chicago Tribune - March 14, 2007
- Dave Savini "TSA reacts to airport security gaps investigation" CBS 2 Chicago - March 5, 2007.
- Kendra Marshall "'Best healthcare' for military, vets" Waukegan News Sun - March 3, 2007
- Lynn Sweet, "Kirk rips aide for threat to foe's backer," Chicago Sun-Times, October 26, 2006.
- Lynn Sweet, "Mikva wants probe of e-mail from Kirk staffer," Chicago Sun-Times, October 31, 2006.
Local blogs and discussion sites
- Team America's Tenth District Blog
- Ellen's Illinois Tenth Congressional District Blog
- Philosophe Forum
- "Backyard Conservative"
- "Capitol Fax Blog"
- "Tenth Dems"
|Current Office: U.S. House of Representatives|
Ranking Member On:
Ranking Member On:
Republican Main Street Partnership, The Republican Majority for Choice, Republicans for Environmental Protection
|Committees: House Committee on Appropriations, House Committee on Appropriations/Subcommittee on Financial Services and General Government, House Committee on Appropriations/Subcommittee on State Foreign Operations and Related Programs|
|First Elected to Current Office:
November 7, 2000
|First Took Current Office:
January 3, 2001
November 2, 2010
|Previous Political Work?
Special Assistant to the Assistant Secretary for Inter-American Affairs, United States Department of State, Administrative Assistant, United State Congress, Representative John Porter, Parliamentary Assistant, British House of Commons, Office of Julian Critchley, MP
|Other Party Membership:|
|Zip Code Affiliations:|
Date of Birth: September 15, 1959