Dr. Matthew Alford FHEA is a university teaching fellow whose research focuses on the relationship between entertainment, political power, and propaganda in the United States. In 2010 Pluto Press published his first book and in 2014 Hot Docs premiered his first motion picture.
- The Writer With No Hands, Hot Docs, Toronto, 2014.
- Matthew Alford, "Reel Power: Hollywood Cinema and American Supremacy", Pluto Press, 2010.
- Tricia Jenkins and Matthew Alford, "The Role of the Defense Department in Reframing US Foreign Policy in Hollywood Cinema", forthcoming.
- Matthew Alford, "The Propaganda Model: Universal Applicability Across Screen Entertainment Industries?" in Alison Edgley (ed.) Noam Chomsky: Critical Explorations in Contemporary Political Thought, Palgrave, 2015.
- Tricia Jenkins and Matthew Alford, "Intelligence Activity in Hollywood: Remembering the 'Agency' in CIA", Scope: An Online Journal of Film and TV Studies, June 2012.
- Matthew Alford, "Why Not a Propaganda Model for Hollywood?", in Philip Hammond (ed), Screens of Terror (Arima, 2011).
- Robbie Graham and Matthew Alford, "A History of Government Management of UFO Perceptions Through Film and Television", 49th Parallel, Spring 2011.
- Matthew Alford, "A Propaganda Model for Hollywood", Westminster Papers for Communication and Culture, Vol 6(2), 2009.
- Matthew Alford, "A Propaganda Model for Hollywood? Representations of American foreign policy in contemporary films" PhD Thesis, University of Bath, 2008.
- Synaesthesia Journal, The Tyranny of Official Editors, 2013.
- Corporate Watch, "Screening Our Screens", 2013.
- Z-Net, Interview: Matthew Alford on his Book, November 3rd 2011.
- Media Lens, "Hollywood - Weaponised Dream Factory", October 7th 2010.
- New Left Project, Hollywood Propaganda, August 24th 2010.
- Press TV, "The Real Deal" (George Galloway), July 10th 2012.
- Russia Today, "Captain America and Hollywood Propaganda" July 22nd 2011.
- Al Jazeera, "Empire: Hollywood and the War Machine" December 22nd 2010.
- Press TV, "The Real Deal" (George Galloway), October 3rd 2010.
- Canal Plus Spain, "Spies in Hollywood" (in Spanish), May 27th 2010.
- Matthew Alford, "The Revolution will not be Cinematised", E-International Relations, December 2013.
- Robbie Graham and Matthew Alford, "The Power Behind the Screen", New Statesman, January 29th, 2009.
- Matthew Alford and Robbie Graham, "An Offer They Couldn't Refuse", Guardian, November 14, 2008.
- Matthew Alford, Book Review: Martin Barker, A Toxic Genre, (Pluto Press 2011) in Synthesia.
- Matthew Alford, Book Review: Jeff Klaehn(ed), The Political Economy of Media and Power (Peter Lang, 2010) in Global Media and Communications, Summer 2011.
- Matthew Alford, Book Review: Ben Shapiro, Primetime Propaganda: The True Story of How the Hollywood Left Took Over Your TV (Broadside Books, 2011), January 2012.