In October 2007, Molson Coors and SABMiller announced that they are merging their U.S. operations, to form MillerCoors. SABMiller was the world's number three beer maker behind InBev and Anheuser-Busch. Its name came from the 2002 purchase by SAB (South African Breweries) of Miller Brewing. The company has operations in over 60 countries. It dominates beer sales in Africa with its brand Castle Lager. SABMiller also produces wine, liquor, and fruit drinks and bottles Coca-Cola products. Altria Group previously owned Miller Brewing and currently owns about 30% of SABMiller.
- Former President - Norman Adami
Miller Brewing was a unit of Philip Morris Co., circa 1994 (WSJ 5/31/94).
Miller Beer, sometimes known simply by the initials "MGD" (an acronym for Miller Genuine Draft) has large-scale operations based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Miller was a subsidiary of the Philip Morris (PM) tobacco company. Philip Morris (now Altria Group) bought Miller Beer on June 12, 1969 from the W.R. Grace chemical company for $130 million and still maintains an interest in the company. 
PM used its food and drink subsidiaries to help advance several corporate goals: 1) to help escape the stigma of being a cigarette manufacturer, 2) to allow the company continue to exert financial influence in places where donations, advertising or sponsorship from a tobacco company would be rejected, 3) to help the company generate clandestine grassroots pressure to oppose tobacco-related public health measures (for example, by pressuring the management and employees of food and drink subsidiaries to participate in phone banks and letter-writing campaigns) and to allow the company to portray itself publicly and to stockholders as "more than just a tobacco company."  page two
Accessed September 2012: 
- Graham Mackay - Chair
- Alan Clark - COO
- Jamie Wilson
- John Manser
- Mark Armour
- Geoffrey Bible
- Dinyar Devitre
- Lesley Knox
- John Manzoni
- Miles Morland
- Dambisa Moyo
- Carlos Alejandro Pérez Dávila
- Cyril Ramaphosa
- Alejandro Santo Domingo Dávila
- Helen Weir
- Howard Willard
Key people: 
- Meyer Kahn, Chairman
- Ernest A. (Graham) Mackay, CEO and Director
- Malcolm I. Wyman, Chief Financial Officer and Director
Selected board members: 
- Geoffrey Bible, Former Chief Executive Officer of Altria Group
- Robert Fellowes, Chairman of Barclays Private Bank, former Private Secretary to the Queen
- Robin Renwick, Former British Ambassador to the United States. He is Vice-Chairman, JPMorgan Cazenove Ltd.
1 Stanhope Gate
W1K1AF, United Kingdom
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Cuban American National Council
- Henry Slack - former board member
- Sue Clark
- Andy Wales - Group Head of Sustainable Development
- Barry Smith (SA)
- Maria Ramos
- Emily Fredrix, Coors/SABMiller to Combine US Operations, Washington Post, accessed February 2008.
- SABMiller Profile, Hoovers, accessed August 2007.
- Brands, SABMiller, accessed August 2007.
- 2006 PAC Summary Data, Open Secrets, accessed August 2007.
- SABMiller lobbying expenses, Open Secrets.
- SABMiller Board, organizational web page, accessed September 24, 2012.
- SABMiller Key People, Hoovers, accessed August 2007.
- Board of Directors, SABMiller, accessed August 2007.
<tdo>resource_id=6856 resource_code=miller_brewing search_term=Miller Brewing Co.</tdo>