New America Foundation
The New America Foundation is a Washington D.C.-headquartered think tank which states that it "invests in new thinkers and new ideas to address the next generation of challenges facing the United States ... With an emphasis on big ideas, impartial analysis and pragmatic solutions, New America invests in outstanding individuals whose ability to communicate to wide and influential audiences can change the country's policy discourse in critical areas, bringing promising new ideas and debates to the fore."
The foundation, which was launched in 1999, has as its CEO Steve Coll, a staff writer with The New Yorker magazine while the chairman of the Board of Directors is the Chairman & CEO of Google, Eric Schmidt.
Ties to Peter G. Peterson
- David and Lucile Packard Foundation
- Pew Charitable Trusts
- John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation
- Aetna, Inc.
- Arizona State University
- BlackRock, Inc.
- California Endowment
- The Nathan Cummings Foundation
- The Emerson Fund
- Foundation for Child Development
- Foundation to Promote Open Society
- The James Irvine Foundation
- John S. and James L. Knight Foundation
- [[Carolyn and Jeffrey Leonard]
- Lumina Foundation
- The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation
- Charles Stewart Mott Foundation
- The New York Community Trust
- Open Society Institute
- Peter G. Peterson Foundation
- The Pew Charitable Trusts
- Bernard and Irene Schwarts
- Smith Richardson Foundation
- US Department of State
- Wyncote Foundation
Board of Directors
- Eric Schmidt: Chair
- Liaquat Ahamed
- David G. Bradley
- Boykin Curry
- James Fallows
- Francis Fukuyama
- Atul A. Gawande
- William W. Gerrity
- Ted Halstead
- Rita E. Hauser
- Zachary Karabell
- Jeffrey Leonard
- Kati Marton
- Walter Russell Mead
- Lenny Mendonca
- Steven Rattner
- Eric Schmidt
- Bernard L. Schwartz
- Anne-Marie Slaughter
- Jonathan Soros
- Daniel Yergin
- Fareed Zakaria
- Steve Coll: President
- Rachel L. White: Executive Vice President and Director, External Relations
- Andres Martinez: Vice President, Editorial Director and Director, Bernard L. Schwartz Fellows Program
- Sascha Meinrath: Vice President and Director, Open Technology Institute
- Valerie Usher: Director of Finance and Operations
- Kyle Ange: Controller
- Peter Bergen: Director, National Security Studies Program
- Shannon Brownlee: Acting Director, Health Policy Program
- Kevin Carey: Director, Education Policy Program
- Reid Cramer: Director, Asset Building Program
- Jason Delisle: Director, Federal Education Budget Project
- Patrick C. Doherty: Director, Smart Strategy Initiative
- David Gray: Director, Workforce and Family Program
- Lisa Guernsey: Director, Early Education Initiative
- Leila HIlal: Director, Middle East Task Force
- Gene Kimmelman: Director, Internet Freedom and Human Rights Project
- Michael Lind: Policy Director, Economic Growth Program
- Mark Lloyd: Director, Media Policy Initiative
- MaryEllen McGuire: Executive Director, Postsecondary National Policy Institute
- Sherle R. Schwenninger: Director, Economic Growth Program and American Strategy Program
- Ceila Hartman Sims: Director, Postsecondary National Policy Institute
- Jamie M. Zimmerman: Director, Global Assets Project
"New America's Leadership Council, chaired by John C. Whitehead, recognizes those individuals who contribute $25,000 or more to the Foundation each year. As members of the Leadership Council, they participate in the intellectual life of the Foundation in numerous ways. For instance, they are invited to attend a special annual retreat with New America senior staff, Fellows and Board of Directors, as well as a series of salon dinners across the country.
- Scott Delman
- Thor Halvorssen
- George C. Halvorsen
- Carolyn Kaplan
- Justine Kilpatrick
- Peter Marber
- Craig Newmark
- Robert H. Neihaus
- F. Noel Perry
- The New America Foundation
- Located in Historic Dupont Circle, at
- 1630 Connecticut Avenue, N.W. 7th Floor
- Washington, DC 20009
- Phone: (202) 986-2700
- Fax: (202) 986-3696
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 New America Foundation, "About New America", New America Foundation website, accessed February 2009.
- ↑ "Our Funding", The New America Foundation., Accessed January 21, 2013.
- ↑ "Our Funding", The New America Foundation, Accessed January 21, 2013.
- ↑ "Board of Directors", New America Foundation, Accessed January 21, 2013.
- ↑ "New America Staff", New America Foundation, Accessed January 21, 2013.
- ↑ New America Foundation, "Parag Khanna," Retrieved January 29, 2008.
- ↑ Parag Khanna, "Waving Goodbye to Hegemony," New York Times Magazine, January 27, 2008.
- J.H. Snider, "Mixing Advocacy, Scholarly Research and Journalism: Can the New America Foundation Square the Circle?", PR Watch, February 26, 2009.