Coal export terminals
Existing coal mines in New South Wales
Coal & Allied mines
Coal & Allied, is 75% owned by Rio Tinto Coal Australia (RTCA), a wholly owned subsidiary of Rio Tinto., operates three mines in the Hunter Valley in New South Wales. These are:
Hunter Valley Energy Coal
Hunter Valley Energy Coal, a wholly owned subsidiary of BHP Billiton, operates the Mt Arthur Coal mine in the Hunter Valley in Australia.
Illawarra Coal mines
Illawarra Coal, a wholly owned subsidiary of BHP Billiton, operates the:
Peabody Energy Australia mines
Peabody Energy Australia, a subsidiary of Peabody Energy, owns the:
Xstrata's coal mines
- Westside Colliery, open cut, 80% Xstrata Coal;
- West Wallsend Colliery, Undergound, 80% Xstrata Coal;
- Bulga Coal, Open cut, 68.25% Xstrata Coal;
- Beltana mine, Underground, 68.25% Xstrata Coal;
- United mine, Underground, 95% Xstrata Coal;
- Narama mine, Open cut, 100% Xstrata Coal;
- Mangoola Coal mine, Open cut, 100% Xstrata Coal;
- Mt Owen mine, Open cut, 100% Xstrata Coal;
- Liddell Colliery, Open cut, 67.5% Xstrata Coal;
- Cumnock mine, Open cut, 100% Xstrata Coal;
- Ravensworth mine, Open cut, 100% Xstrata Coal;
- Ulan Coal mine, Underground and open cut, 90% Xstrata Coal;
- Baal Bone mine, Underground and open cut, 74.1% Xstrata Coal;
Coal deposits and coal projects in New South Wales
Coal & Allied
Coal and Allied has a number of other projects under consideration including:
Xstrata's coal projects
Citizens groups campaigning on coal issues
- Bickham Coal-Mine Action Group, Hunter Valley
- Caroona Coal Action Group, Hunter Valley
- GRIP, Gloucester, Hunter Valley
- MWcan - Mid Western Community Action Network
- People Against Coal Extraction (PACE), Newcastle
- Rising Tide, Newcastle
- Rivers SOS, Hunter Valley
- Save the Drip, Mudgee, Hunter Valley
- Wybong Action Group, Hunter Valley
Articles and resources
- ↑ Port Waratah Coal Services, "Kooragang Coal Terminal", Port Waratah Coal Services website, accessed April 2011.
- ↑ Port Kembla Coal Terminal, "Shareholders", Port Kembla Coal Terminal website, accessed June 2010.
- ↑ Port Kembla Port Corporation, "Terminals", Port Kembla Port Corporation website, accessed April 2011.
- ↑ Carrington Coal Terminal, Port Waratah Coal Services website, accessed December 2008.
- ↑ Rio Tinto, 2009 Annual Report: Production & reserves: Group mines: Energy", Rio Tinto website, 2010.
- ↑ Coal & Allied, "Our projects", Coal & Allied website, accessed July 2010.
Related SourceWatch articles
- P. Brown, A. Cottrell, M. Searles, L. Wibberley and P. Scaife, "A Lifecycle Assessment of the New South Wales Energy Grid", Cooperative Research Centre for Coal in Sustainable Development, October 2006. (Pdf).
- The Climate Group (Australia), "This Week’s Emissions: New South Wales", The Climate Group website, accessed August 2010. (This webpage provides an estimate of total greenhouse gas emissions over the previous week and preceding year. It account for nearly all emissions from power generation).