Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands
His Royal Highness Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands (1911-2004) "became the Patron of Save the Elephants in the year 2003. Prince Bernhard was always highly committed to nature conservation. In 1961, he established the World Wildlife Fund (now the World Wide Fund for Nature), with the aim of conserving plant and animal species throughout the world, making more space for nature, and protecting the environment. In 1971 the Prince founded the Order of the Golden Ark, an honour awarded to those who have performed outstanding service in the area of wildlife conservation." 
- Former President (1985-2004 ), Rhino Rescue Trust
- Founder, World Wildlife Fund
- Club 21 Member, Peace Parks Foundation
- Patron, Save the Elephants
- Recipient of the 1987 Duke of Edinburgh Conservation Medal 
- Marja Spierenburg and Harry Wels, “Conservative Philanthropists, Royalty and Business Elites in Nature Conservation in Southern Africa,” In: Dan Brockington and Rosaleen Duffy (eds.), Capitalism and Conservation (Wiley-Blackwell, 2011), pp.179-202.