Sam Fox, a Republican fundraiser from Missouri, was named Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenifotentiary of the United States of America to Belgium on April 4, 2007, by President George W. Bush in a recess appointment, "a maneuver that allowed him to bypass Congress, where Democrats had derailed Fox's nomination." 
On December 4, 2006, Fox was nominated to the post by President Bush, but on March 28, 2007, Bush withdrew Fox's nomination after Democrats complained about Fox's donation to Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, "a group that questioned Sen. John Kerry's war record during the 2004 presidential campaign."
In late 2004, Fox "gave $50,000 to no less solid citizens than the Swift Boat Liars who made it their mission to discredit a highly-decorated Vietnam Veteran in John Kerry," Bob Geiger wrote February 27, 2007.
According to WhiteHouseForSale.org, Fox is "a Bush Ranger, responsible for millions of dollars of donations to both the Bush/Cheney campaigns and the Republican Party. He's also a charter member of the Libby Defense Fund. In other words, this guy is neck deep in the Bush/Cheney circles," Nicolle Bell wrote February 27, 2007, for Crooks and Liars.
"Fox chairs the national Republican Jewish Coalition. He and Pioneer coalition members Ned Siegel and Fred Zeidman accompanied House Majority Leader Tom DeLay on his 2003 trip to Israel. Harbour Group companies received $3.3 million in federal contracts in fiscal 2002. Sam Fox’s sons Jeffrey Fox and Gregory Fox are Bush Pioneers and Harbour executives." 
Fox is a former member of the United States Naval Reserves and received his bachelor's degree from Washington University in St. Louis. 
Related SourceWatch Resources
- Mr. and Mrs. Sam Fox, WhiteHouseforSale.org/Texans for Public Justice.
- Sam Fox, Libby Legal Defense Trust.
- Personnel Announcement, Office of the White House Press Secretary, December 4, 2006.
- Bob Geiger, "On Team Bush, Scumbags Become Ambassadors," BobGeiger Blogspot, February 27, 2007.
- Nicolle Bell, "Bush Nominates Swift Boat Veterans Donor to Ambassadorship," Crooks and Liars, February 27, 2007.
- "John Kerry Grills Belgium Ambassador Nominee Over Swift Boat Donation," Associated Press (Fox News), February 28, 2007.
- SilentPatriot, "Senator Kerry Confronts Swift Boat Funder," Crooks and Liars, February 28, 2007.
- Ellen, "On FOX News, War on Democrats More Important Than War On Terror," News Hounds, March 1, 2007. (Also see John E. O'Neill.)
- Hal Brown, "Rewards and punishment in the Bush administration," Capitol Hill Blue, March 1, 2007.
- Bob Geiger, "Kerry Shipmates, Dodd Come Out Strong Against Fox Nomination," BobGeiger Blogspot, March 27, 2007.
- Jeremy Pelofsky, "Bush yields to Democrats on Belgian ambassador pick," Reuters (Washington Post), March 28, 2007.
- James Rowley "Bush Gives Swift-Boat Donor Fox Recess Ambassador Appointment," Bloomberg News, April 4, 2007.
- Tahman Bradley, "Bush Swift Boats Belgium, Congress," ABC News, April 4, 2007.
- Jill Zuckman, "Swift Boat donor named ambassador," Chicago Tribune, April 5, 2007.
- Jennifer Loven, "Bush bypasses Senate to name ambassador," Associated Press (Seattle Post-Intelligencer), April 5, 2007.
- Joel Havemann, "With Senate on break, Bush appoints officials. The three, including a contentious regulatory director, most likely would not have been approved by lawmakers," Los Angeles Times, April 5, 2007.
- Don Michak, "Dodd wants probe after Bush skirts Senate," JournalInquirer.com (CT), April 5, 2007. re Christopher Dodd
- "New Belgium Ambassador Sam Fox Will Not Be Paid, White House Says," Fox News, April 5, 2007.
- Michael Roston, "State Department won't rule out paying Swift Boat donor Ambassador," The Raw Story, April 6,2 007.