Senate Rule XXIII - Privilege of the floor
Other than the Vice President and Senators, no person shall be admitted to the floor of the Senate while in session, except as follows:
- The President of the United States and his private secretary.
- The President elect and Vice President elect of the United States.
- Ex-Presidents and ex-Vice Presidents of the United States.
- Judges of the Supreme Court.
- Ex-Senators and Senators elect.
- The officers and employees of the Senate in the discharge of their official duties.
- Ex-Secretaries and ex-Sergeants at Arms of the Senate.
- Members of the House of Representatives and Members elect.
- Ex-Speakers of the House of Representatives.
- The Sergeant at Arms of the House and his chief deputy and the Clerk of the House and his deputy.
- Heads of the Executive Departments.
- Ambassadors and Ministers of the United States.
- Governors of States and Territories.
- Members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- The General Commanding the Army.
- The Senior Admiral of the Navy on the active list.
- Members of National Legislatures of foreign countries and Members of the European Parliament.
- Judges of the Court of Claims.
- The Mayor of the District of Columbia.
- The Librarian of Congress and the Assistant Librarian in charge of the Law Library.
- The Architect of the Capitol.
- The Chaplain of the House of Representatives.
- The Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution.
- The Parliamentarian Emeritus of the Senate.
Members of the staffs of committees of the Senate and joint committees of the Congress when in the discharge of their official duties and employees in the office of a Senator when inthe discharge of their official duties (but in each case subject to such rules or regulations as may be prescribed by the Committee on Rules and Administration). Senate committee staff members and employees in the office of a Senator must be on the payroll of the Senate and members of joint committee staffs must be on the payroll of the Senate or the House of Representatives.
Articles and Resources
- "Rule XXIII," U.S. Senate - Committee on Rules and Administration, 2005.