Song Hau Thermal Power Plant
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Vietnam and coal|
Sông Hậu thermal power plant is a proposed 5,200-megawatt (MW) coal power plant complex in Hậu Giang province, Vietnam.
The map below shows the location of Hậu Giang Industrial Park, the location where the plant would be built in Châu Thành district, Hậu Giang province.
In April 2010, Vietnam's state oil and gas group Petrovietnam began initial construction on the $1.5 billion, two-unit, 1,200-MW Sông Hậu-1 power station. In February 2011, the Japan International Cooperation Agency signed an agreement with Vietnam's Ministry of Industry & Trade to extend financing to the project. As of February 2013, the plant had apparently not yet broken ground, being still referred to as "proposed"; Petrovietnam states that the units would come online in 2017-18.
In April 2011, Toyo Ink Group Berhad, the Malaysian branch of Japan's Toyo Ink Group, announced that it would be pursuing the development of the two-unit, $3.5 billion, 2,000-MW Sông Hậu-2 plant, after provincial authorities approved the company's proposal. In January 2012, Toyo Ink signed a consultancy agreement with Vietnam's Power Engineering and Consulting Joint Stock Company 2 for the construction of the plant. In May 2013, Toyo Ink signed an agreement with the Ministry of Industry & Trade for construction of the plant; the plan calls for the first unit to come online in 2021, and the second in 2022.
- Sponsor: Petrovietnam (Sông Hậu-1); Toyo Ink Group Berhad (Sông Hậu-2); none (Sông Hậu-3)
- Parent company: Petrovietnam (Sông Hậu-1); Toyo Ink Group (Sông Hậu-2)
- Location: Hậu Giang Industrial Park, Châu Thành district, Hậu Giang province, Vietnam
- Coordinates: 9.95235, 105.86475 (exact)
- Status: Sông Hậu-1: Permitted; Sông Hậu-2: Permitted; Sông Hậu-3: Announced
- Gross Capacity: 1,200 MW (Sông Hậu-1); 2,000 MW (Sông Hậu-2); 2,000 MW (Sông Hậu-3)
- Type: Supercritical
- Projected in service: 2017-18 (Sông Hậu-1); 2021-22 (Sông Hậu-2); unknown (Sông Hậu-3)
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Indonesia, Australia (Sông Hậu-1 and 2)
- Source of financing: Japan International Cooperation Agency (Sông Hậu-1)
Articles and resources
- Starting to Build Infrastructure of Song Hau 1 Power Center in the End of April 2010, CTTE Corp. website, April 16, 2010.
- "JICA To Drive Forward $1.5bn Power Project", Business Times, Feb. 15, 2011.
- New 2000 MW Coal-Fired Power Plant to be Developed in Vietnam, Energy Global, Feb. 8, 2013.
- Toyo Ink Group Berhad Update on Progress of the Proposed Investment Project of Building a Coal-Fired Thermo Power Plant in Vietnam, Toyo Ink Group Berhad press release, Apr. 29, 2011.
- Contract for New Vietnam Thermal-Power Plant Signed, talkvietnam, Jan. 12, 2012.
- BOT Power Plant Agreed, Vietnam Investment Review, May 8, 2013.
- International Giants Interested in Power Projects in Vietnam, VietNamNet, Oct. 13, 2013.
- Thermo-Power Project in Delta Approved, Viêt Nam News, Dec. 13, 2011.
- Petrovietnam's New Power Plant to Buy Indonesia, Australia Coal, Reuters, Aug. 2, 2011.