|This is a profile of a U.S. Representative. (See the New York portal for all incumbents, candidates and blogs.)|
Record and controversies
For more information on environmental legislation, see the Energy and Environment Policy Portal
Israel was born May 30, 1958 in Brooklyn, New York and graduated from The George Washington University. He was elected to the town board in Huntington, New York in 1993. After Rick Lazio left his House seat to run for the United States Senate in 2000, Israel was elected to the U.S. House.
Israel "is best known for his leadership on three diverse but vitally important issues in Congress: national security, health and the environment, and U.S.-Israeli relations. Since he was first sworn into the House in 2001, he has been widely acknowledged as an independent, effective and emerging national leader. Newsday dubbed Israel "rookie of the year" in his first term, and later identified him as one of eight "national rising stars." In his first term, Representative Israel passed more new measures in the House than any other freshman Democrat, most proudly a bill to accelerate research and treatment of ovarian cancer."
"In 2005, Israel formed the House Center Aisle Caucus - a group of nearly 50 House Democrats and Republicans working to establish a respectful dialogue on contentious issues instead of partisan attacks and insults."
In his second term, Israel was tapped for a leadership position as Assistant Whip. In his three terms in Congress, Rep. Israel has secured more that $83 million in federal appropriations to strengthen and expand Long Island's economy, including: $41 million in defense contracts; $14 million in road improvements; $2.5 million in health and education grants; and $14.5 million in environmental protections.
Money in politics
This section contains links to – and feeds from – money in politics databases. <crpcontribdata>cid=N00013345&cycle=2006</crpcontribdata>
|Links to more campaign contribution information for Steve Israel
from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org site.
|Fundraising profile:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by organization/corporation:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by industry:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
- Revolving door profile for Steve Israel from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- 2006 privately funded travel profile for Steve Israel from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- Personal finance profile for Steve Israel from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
Committees and Affiliations
- House Committee on Appropriations
- Subcommittee on Energy and Water
- Subcommittee on State-Foreign Operations
Committee assignments in the 109th Congress (2005-2006)
- House Committee on Armed Services
- Subcommittee on Projection Forces
- Subcommittee on Tactical Air and Land Forces
- House Committee on Financial Services
- Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit
- Subcommittee on Capital Markets Insurance and Government Sponsored Enterprises
Coalitions and Caucuses
- Blue Dog Coalition
- Founder and chair, Democratic Study Group on National Security *co-chairs, bipartisan House Cancer Caucus
- co-chairs, bipartisan Long Island Sound Task Force
- Founder, House Center Aisle Caucus
More Background Data
District Office- Hauppauge:
150 Motor Parkway, Suite 108
Hauppauge, NY 11788
Articles and Resources
- Official website
- Campaign website
- Isreal profile, On the Issues
- Jewish Virtual Library Biography
- Gur, "O Congress Person, Where Art Thou?", Room Eight, May 9, 2006.
- Gur, "The Phattest Bubble You've Ever Seen?", Room Eight, May 12, 2006.
- Gur, "What Part Of "You Will Pimp My Pay to $168K" Did You Not Understand?", Room Eight, June 30, 2006.
- Congressional Wire, "Earth to Congress - Come In!", Room Eight, July 11, 2006.
- Gur, "Why Bother?", Room Eight, July 12, 2006.
Local blogs and discussion sites
|Current Office: U.S. House of Representatives|
Ranking Member On:
Ranking Member On:
Democratic Study Group on National Security, bipartisan House Cancer Caucus, bipartisan Long Island Sound Task Force, House Center Aisle Caucus
|Committees: House Committee on Appropriations, House Committee on Appropriations/Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development, House Committee on Appropriations/Subcommittee on State Foreign Opeartions and Related Programs,|
|First Elected to Current Office:
November 7, 2000
|First Took Current Office:
January 3, 2001
November 2, 2010
|Previous Political Work?
Huntington Town Board,
|Other Party Membership:|
|Zip Code Affiliations:|
Date of Birth: May 30, 1958