Thermo Fisher Scientific
Learn more about Pete Peterson-funded astroturf projects at the Fix the Debt Portal.
|Company Name||Thermo Fisher Scientific|
|CEO Name||Marc Casper|
|CEO Retirement Assets||$1,411,059|
|Underfunded Company Pension||-$107,900,000|
|Annual Company Revenue||$11,725,900,000|
|Tax Dodger ('08-'10)||30.3%|
|Territorial Tax Break||$1,645,000,000|
|Federal Lobbying/Political Donations ('09-'12*)||$1,620,000|
|Click here for sources.
2011 data unless otherwise noted.
©2013 Center for Media and Democracy
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is a large healthcare equipment company that supplies a wide "range of products, services and solutions for research, analysis, discovery and diagnostics," including analytical instruments, chemicals and software. Thermo Fisher describes itself as " the world leader in serving science, enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With annual revenues of $12 billion, we have more approximately 39,000 employees and serve customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as environmental and industrial process control settings." 
The company's revenues in 2011 totaled $11,725,900,000. 
Ties to Pete Peterson's "Fix the Debt"
The Campaign to Fix the Debt is the latest incarnation of a decades-long effort by former Nixon man turned Wall Street billionaire Pete Peterson to slash earned benefit programs such as Social Security and Medicare under the guise of fixing the nation's "debt problem." Thermo Fisher Scientific is part of the Campaign to Fix the Debt as of February 2013.
This article is part of the Center for Media and Democracy's investigation of Pete Peterson's Campaign to "Fix the Debt." Please visit our main SourceWatch page on Fix the Debt.
|About Fix the Debt|
The Campaign to Fix the Debt is the latest incarnation of a decades-long effort by former Nixon man turned Wall Street billionaire Pete Peterson to slash earned benefit programs such as Social Security and Medicare under the guise of fixing the nation's "debt problem." Through a special report and new interactive wiki resource, the Center for Media and Democracy -- in partnership with the Nation magazine -- exposes the funding, the leaders, the partner groups, and the phony state "chapters" of this astroturf supergroup. Learn more at PetersonPyramid.org and in the Nation magazine.
Board of Directors
As of February 2013:
- Jim P. Manzi - Chairman of the Board, Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Marc N. Casper - President & CEO, Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Nelson J. Chai - President, CIT Group Inc.
- C. Martin Harris, MD - Chief Strategy Officer, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Tyler Jacks, PhD - Director, David H. Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research and David H. Koch Professor of Biology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Judy C. Lewent - former CFO, Merck & Co., Inc.
- Thomas J. Lynch - CEO, TE Connectivity Ltd. (formerly Tyco Electronics Ltd.)
- William G. Parrett - former CEO, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu
- Lars Rebien Sørensen - President and CEO, Novo Nordisk A/S
- Scott M. Sperling - Co-President of Thomas H. Lee Partners, L.P.
- Elaine S. Ullian - former President and CEO
Former directors include:
- Samuel W. Bodman III
- Peter O. Crisp
- Marijn E. Dekkers
- Robert A. McCabe
- Robert W. O'Leary
- Frank Jungers
- Hutham S. Olayan
- Richard F. Syron
As of February 2013:
- Marc N. Casper - President and Chief Executive Officer
- Alan J. Malus - Executive Vice President and President, Analytical Technologies
- Peter M. Wilver - Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
- Tom Loewald - Senior Vice President and President, Laboratory Products
- Edward A. Pesicka - Senior Vice President and President, Customer Channels
- Andrew J. Thomson - Senior Vice President and President, Specialty Diagnostics
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
81 Wyman Street
Waltham, MA 02454
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
Featured SourceWatch Articles on Fix the Debt
- Fix the Debt Portal Page
- Fix the Debt's Leadership
- Fix the Debt's Partner Groups
- Fix the Debt's State Chapters
- Fix the Debt's Lobbyists
- Fix the Debt's Parent Group
- Fix the Debt's Corporations
- Pete Peterson
- Peter G. Peterson Foundation
- America Speaks
- Simpson-Bowles Commission
- Erskine Bowles
- Alan Simpson
- Social Security
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Product Lines, organizational website, accessed February 2013
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, About, organizational website, accessed February 2013
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, "2011 Annual Report", organizational document, page 5.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Board of Directors, organizational website, accessed February 2013
- EdgarOnline, 'Thermo Electron Corporation Proxy Statement 2001', accessed February 12, 2013
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Executive Biographies, organizational website, accessed February 2013