|This is a profile of a U.S. Representative. (See the New York portal for all incumbents, candidates and blogs.)|
Record and controversies
For more information on environmental legislation, see the Energy and Environment Policy Portal
Bishop was born June 1, 1950 in Southampton, New York and graduated from The College of the Holy Cross. He served as the long-time Provost of Southampton College.
In his first political race in 2002, Bishop ran against Republican Congressman Felix Grucci. During the campaign, Grucci ran radio ads accusing Bishop of falsifying rape statistics at Southampton College, but his claims were based on articles from a college newspaper that contained numerous inaccuracies. Grucci refused to repudiate the ads, and Bishop won the election by under 3,000 votes.
Bishop's victory was one of only three turnovers of a Republican House seat to the Democrats in the 2002 midterm elections; the other two winners were Chris Van Hollen of Maryland and Rodney Alexander of Louisiana (who has since changed his party affiliation to Republican).
In the 2008 election, Congressman Tim Bishop will be challenged by the endorsed Republican candidate and military veteran Lee Zeldin.
Money in politics
This section contains links to – and feeds from – money in politics databases. <crpcontribdata>cid=N00025413&cycle=2006</crpcontribdata>
|Links to more campaign contribution information for Tim Bishop
from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org site.
|Fundraising profile:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by organization/corporation:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by industry:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
- Revolving door profile for Tim Bishop from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- 2006 privately funded travel profile for Tim Bishop from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- Personal finance profile for Tim Bishop from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
Committees and Affiliations
- House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
- Subcommittee on Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation
- Subcommittee on Highways, Transit and Pipelines
- Subcommittee on Water Resources and Environment
- House Committee on Education and Labor
- Subcommittee on Higher Education, Lifelong Learning, and Competitiveness
- Subcommittee on Workforce Protections
- House Committee on Budget
Committee assignments in the 109th Congress (2005-2006)
More Background Data
District Office- Coram:
3680 Route 112, Suite C
Coram, NY 11727
District Office- Southampton:
33 Flying Point Road, Suite 104A
Southampton, NY 11968
Articles and Resources
Local blogs and discussion sites
- All in the political family by J. Jioni Palmer, Newsday, 4/15/05.
- O Congress Person, Where Art Thou? by Gur, Room Eight, 5/09/06.
- The Phattest Bubble You've Ever Seen? by Gur, Room Eight, 5/12/06.
- The Hamptons Jipped-Me by Gur, Room Eight, 6/20/06.
- What Part Of "You Will Pimp My Pay to $168K" Did You Not Understand? by Gur, Room Eight, 6/30/06.
- Congressional Wire, "Earth to Congress - Come In!", Room Eight, July 11, 2006.
- Gur, "Why Bother?", Room Eight, July 12, 2006.
- Gur, "A NY Dem's Ocracy in Iraq", Room Eight, August 7, 2006.
|Current Office: U.S. House of Representatives|
Ranking Member On:
Ranking Member On:
|Committees: House Committee on Budget, House Committee on Education and Labor, House Committee on Education and Labor/Subcommittee on Higher Education Lifelong Learning and Competitiveness, House Committee on Education and Labor/Subcommittee on Workforce Protections, House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure/Subcommittee on Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation, House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure/Subcommittee on Highways and Transit, House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure/Subcommittee on Water Resources and Environment|
|First Elected to Current Office:
November 5, 2002
|First Took Current Office:
January 3, 2003
November 2, 2010
|Previous Political Work?
None or not available
|Other Party Membership:|
|Zip Code Affiliations:|
Date of Birth: June 1, 1950