Vinson & Elkins LLP
Vinson & Elkins LLP is a Houston, Texas-based "worldwide operation with over 700 lawyers in 11 offices across the globe." 
The GOP: John L. Howard, Jr.
John Howard "served in the Bush Administration for eight years in several senior roles. He was Governor [George W.] Bush's Environment and Natural Resources Policy Director, where he crafted policy initiatives and assisted with significant environmental and energy legislation. As a volunteer, John helped draft presidential campaign policies and the Republican National Committee's 2000 Convention policy on the environment, natural resources, and energy. In Washington, D.C., he led the Bush-Cheney 2000 Transition's environmental team. John served as the Senior Associate Director (the Chairman's deputy for policy) for the White House Council on Environmental Quality, where he assisted in developing President Bush's energy plan and environmental, natural resource, and energy policies. John also served as President Bush's Federal Environmental Executive.
"In his federal roles, John worked extensively with the various offices within the White House and with many federal agencies, including EPA, Interior, Agriculture, Commerce, State, Defense, Energy, and GSA. He led and participated in interagency councils on energy, the POPs and Basel treaties, climate change, corporate average fuel economy, environmental metrics, green building, electronic waste, Clear Skies and air quality, stewardship and sustainability. He also represented the White House at the COP6 bis in Bonn in 2001 on climate change." 
Vinson & Elkins "National Good Government Fund"
According to the Leadership Institute's 2004 PAC Study, Vinson & Elkins' political action committee the "National Good Government Fund", a qualifying non-party PAC, contributed $87,000 to a total of 69 candidates, including $5,000 each to George W. Bush, John Cornyn, and Thomas D. DeLay.
2300 First City Tower
1001 Fannin Street, Suite 2300
Houston, TX 77002-6760
Phone: 713 758-2222
Fax: 713 758-2346
Related SourceWatch resources
- Alberto R. Gonzales
- Bush administration and the Enron connection
- Kenneth Lay
- Knox D. Nunnally
- "Dollar Docket #18: High Court's Top Donor Bucks Disclosure Law. Vinson & Elkins' PAC disclosures incomplete," Texans for Public Justice website.
- "Dollar Docket #24: High Court Candidates Raise $1 Million A Seat. TLR, TMA, big firms lead donors," Texans for Public Justice website.
- Nathan Newman, "Alberto Gonzales, White House General Counsel. Controversy Surrounds Texas Justices Acceptance of Donations and Rulings for Cheney Firm," Yale Law Campaign for a Legal Election, KnowTheCandidates.org, undated.
- Christopher Ruddy, "Ex-Prosecutor Moves to Firm Tied to Whitewater," NewsMax, August 7, 1996.
- "Bundles Proliferate in Latest Presidential Filings. Bush Leads the Pack with Ten Firms Giving $70,000 or More," OpenSecrets.org, July 22, 1999: "His top donor to date, the Houston law firm of Vinson & Elkins, has already delivered $184,850 to the Bush campaign."
- David Lazarus, "Spotlight on Enron's law firm," San Francisco Chronicle, February 15, 2002.
- kos, "More on O'Neill and Margaret Wilson," Daily Kos, April 21, 2004.