Çırpılar power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
Çırpılar power station is a proposed 200-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Çanakkale province, Turkey.
The map below shows the location of Çırpılar, the approximate location where the plant would be built in Çanakkale province.
The Çırpılar power plant is a proposed coal-fired power plant to be located in the Çanakkale province, near Çırpılar, Turkey. It would be fuelled by a new open-pit lignite (brown coal) mine, which would cover require an area of 845 hectares. The plant would consume 3.5 million tonnes of lignite per year, and produce 200MW of thermal energy. Storage for 465,000 tonnes of coal would be developed, covering an area of around 90 football pitches (36.5 hectares) on the edge of the pristine Mount Ida.
This history of the project was posted by the NGO BankTrack in September 2017:
- The Çırpılar coal power plant project is one of 15 new coal projects planned in the Çanakkale region of Turkey. It has been in pre-permit development stage since May 2015 when the project sponsor, Taşzemin İnşaat (a subsidiary of Taşyapı Holding), submitted its Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA).
- The area where the project is planned is qualified as agricultural land, meaning a decision by the Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Livestock on change of use is necessary. This decision can only be issued once the EIA is approved by the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization, which has not yet occurred as of September 2017.
- However, the project has been discussed twice, most recently in December 2016, by the Soil Protection Council of Çanakkale and considered inappropriate, because ponds established by public funds for irrigation of arable land have been designated as the source of cooling water for the coal plant.
- However the Soil Protection Council of changed its mind by July 2017, releasing a new decision stating that the project was not inappropriate, although no changes had been made to the project plans. The project sponsor has added this decision to the current EIA report as an annex, although the final decision on the suitability of the area for non-agricultural land use still lies in the Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Livestock. The impression given in the current EIA report that the Soil Protection Council's approval justifies their project plans is misleading.
- After the announcement in January 2017 of the project’s evaluation and assessment meeting, a coalition of local communities, environmental associations, national NGOs and Turkish citizens mobilised to object to the project. In a very short time 65 village leaders in the region, among 75 in total, submitted letters of objection and more than 50,000 individuals signed a petition, initiated by TEMA foundation, to cancel the project. Moreover, a mass social media campaign started and became so popular that the issue found its way to national media outlets despite the current busy political agenda in Turkey. The meeting was delayed and rescheduled for 13 September 2017."
In September 2017, a revised EIA report was approved.
In June 2018 the project received a positive EIA. In July 2018 a lawsuit to have the EIA invalidated on the grounds that the project's impact on human health and local agriculture had not been fully considered was filed by the TEMA Foundation, the Society for the Protection of Natural and Cultural Heritage of Kazdaı, and the Chamber of Agricultural Engineers.
The plant would be fueled by a new open-pit coal mine in the region.
- Sponsor: Taşzemin İnşaat
- Parent company: Taşyapı Grup
- Location: Çırpılar, Çanakkale province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 39.816777, 27.339752 (approximate)
- Status: Pre-permit development
- Gross capacity: 200 MW
- Type: Circulating Fluidized Bed (CFB)
- Projected in service:
- Coal type: Lignite
- Coal source: Domestic
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Çırpılar coal-fired power plant," BankTrack, accessed Sep 2017
- "Çırpılar Termik Santrali için ÇED süreci başladı," Enerji Günlüğü, 15 February 2014
- "YENİCE ÇIRPILAR KÖYÜ TERMİK SANTRAL ÇED TOPLANTISI YAPILDI," Milliyet, June 25, 2015
- "Kaz Dağları yeniden tehdit altında," Cumhuriyet, 12 September 2017
- Çırpılar Thermal Power Plant project to appeal the decision of the EIA, Sözcü, Jul. 30, 2018
- "Çırpılar’da yapılacak termik santralle ilgili rakamlar ürkütüyor," evrensel, Jan 23, 2016
- "ÇANAKKALE-YENİCE-ÇIRPILAR THERMAL POWER PLANT," company website, accessed March 2018