AES Greenidge Generation Plant
Greenidge Generation Plant was a coal-fired power station owned and operated by AES near Dresden, New York. The last coal unit was retired in 2011.
- Owner: AES Greenidge
- Parent Company: AES
- Plant Nameplate Capacity: 163 MW
- Units and In-Service Dates: 50 MW (1950), 113 MW (1953)
- Location: 590 Plant Rd., Dresden, NY 14441
- GPS Coordinates: 42.679135, -76.948604
- Coal Consumption:
- Coal Source:
- Number of Employees:
The Greenidge Power Plant in Dresden, New York, was commissioned in 1937 to 1953 by the New York State Electric and Gas Corporation (NYSEG). Since 1999, the plant has been owned and operated by AES Corporation. At one time, the Greenidge Power consisted of six coal-fired boilers, which provided steam to power four turbine generators. The plant had a generating capacity of over 200 megawatts. In 1985, two turbine generators and three boilers were taken out of service. In 2009, another turbine and boiler were also taken out of service. Citing high fuel costs and decreased demand for electricity, AES shut down the Greenidge Power Plant on March 18, 2011.
In 1999, AES purchased six power plants in New York (including the Greenidge station) from NGE Generation, Inc. for $953 million. The other stations included in the deal were AES Somerset, AES Cayuga, AES Westover, AES Hickling, and AES Jennison.
- 2006 CO2 Emissions: 780,467 tons
- 2006 SO2 Emissions:
- 2006 SO2 Emissions per MWh:
- 2006 NOx Emissions:
- 2005 Mercury Emissions:
The following table gives more info on this plant's SO2 emissions levels, as well as on whatever SO2 emissions "scrubbers" (Flue Gas Desulfurization units, or FGDs) have been installed at the plant. Each of the plant's units is listed separately, and at the bottom overall data for the plant is listed.
|Unit #||Year Built||Capacity||MWh Produced (2005)||SO2 Emissions (2005)||SO2 Emissions per MWh (2005)||Average Annual Coal Sulfur Content||FGD Unit Type||FGD In-Service Year||FGD SO2 Removal Efficiency|
|3||1950||50 MW||223,897 MWh||4,110 tons||36.71 lb./MWh||2.14%||none installed|
|4||1953||113 MW||665,481 MWh||10,244 tons||30.79 lb./MWh||2.03%||none installed|
|Total||163 MW||889,378 MWh||14,354 tons||32.28 lb./MWh|
Articles and Resources
- "NYSEG Greenidge Power Plant," Dresden Mesothelioma Attorney, Aug 18, 2011
- "Greenidge plant goes dark in Torrey", Gatehouse Media (2011-03-24).
- "AES completes acquistion of six power plants in New York with total capacity of 1424 MW", Business Wire via High Beam Research, May 14, 1999.
- "AES to sell four New York coal plants" Reuters, March, 4, 2011.
- Coal Power Plant Database, National Energy Technology Laboratory, U.S. Dept. of Energy, 2007.
- EIA-767, Energy Information Administration, 2005.
- Existing Electric Generating Units in the United States, 2005, Energy Information Administration, accessed Jan. 2009.
- Environmental Integrity Project, "Dirty Kilowatts: America’s Most Polluting Power Plants", July 2007.
- Facility Registry System, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, accessed Jan. 2009.
- Carbon Monitoring for Action database, accessed Feb. 2009.
Related SourceWatch Articles
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|