Jump to navigation Jump to search
Alex Carey is an Australian activist academic who died in 1988. Noam Chomsky and Edward Herman dedicated their classic book Manufacturing Consent to his life.
In the foreword to the posthumously published anthology of Alex Carey's work, Taking the Risk out of Democracy: Corporate Propaganda versus Freedom and Liberty (University of Illinois Press, 1995), Chomsky notes that the dedication was a “bare and inadequate way to try to express our indebtedness to him for his uniquely important work on the 'ideal of a propaganda-managed democracy' that the highly class-conscious business community in the United States had sought to achieve, with the dedicated support of major segments of the intellectual culture.“ (pg.vi)
- "Taking the Risk out of Democracy: Corporate propaganda in the US and Australia", NSW Press/ Illinois Press, 1995. see
- "The Hawthorne Studies: A Radical Criticism," ASR, 1967.
- "Australian atrocities in Vietnam" (Sydney: Gould, Convenor, Vietnam Action Campaign, 1968).
- "Of professors and 'pacification'" (Kirrawwe, 1968).
- "Reshaping the Truth: Pragmatists and Propagandists in America", Meanjin Quarterly, 35 (4), 1976, pp. 370-378.
- "Industrial Psychology and Sociiology in Australia" In: Boreham, Pemberton and Wilson, The Professions in Australia? A Critical Appraisal (1976).
- "The Politics of Industrial Psychology: From Freud to Fraud" Part 1, Journal of the Institute of Engineers, Jan Feb 1976.
- "The Lysenko Syndrome in Western Social Science", Australian Psychologist, Volume 12, Number 1, March 1977, pp. 27-38.
- "The Norwegian Experiments in Demcracy at Work: A Critique and a Contribution to Reflexive Sociology", Australian and New Zealand Journal of Sociology, 15, 1, Nov 1979.
- "The Lysenko Syndrome in Western social science", in Ainsworth, W., Willis, Q. (Eds),Australian Organisational Behaviour, Macmillan, Melbourne, 1981, pp. 212-24.
- "Lobbyists take the risk out of democracy", Canberra Times, August 1, 1983.
- "Australian Democracy: The End of Political Innocence", Canberra Times, August 17, 1983.
- "The Ideological Management Industry", Left History, 1987.
- "The Corporate Offensive" In Union Strategy and Industrial Change (1987).
- "Conspiracy Or Groundswell?", In: Ken Coghill, McPhee Gribble (eds.), The New Right's Australian Fantasy, Penguin Books, 1987, pp.3-19.
- "The Orwell Diversion", Book Sellers Union, Undated.
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Project Australia
- Hawthorne Experiments
- Truda Gray - regular coauthor