After graduating from the Moscow State University, where he specialised in Microbiology, in 1969 , he worked in Kurchatov Research Institute of Nuclear Energy, until 1974  or 1975 , when he emigrated to Israel and studied at the Chaim Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot  
There has been some considerable controversy about Goldfarb's involvement in this affair.
"I have checked by Scopus all 67 scientific works by A.D.Goldfarb (since his first paper in 1972) and was not able to find in the abstracts any word about radiation. He worked in the Kurchatov Institute but it's a big organization and a lot of scientists working there who aren't experts in radiation. His PhD thesis, AFAIK, was not related to radiation damage. Due to this, his book cannot be a reliable source of information on nuclear physics and nuclear chemistry." 
"Indeed, no sooner had Litvinenko expired than his collaborator in anti-Putin politics, Alex Goldfarb, was in front of the television cameras reading Litvinenko's deathbed statement charging Putin with murder...Who else could have acquired the polonium-210? Who else would kill Litvinenko to make Putin a pariah? These are the questions Scotland Yard, which also seems skeptical that Putin had a hand in this bizarre business, has begun to ask. Surely, rogue or retired KGB agents, passed over by Putin and bitter at Litvinenko, would have a motive: to send a message, written in polonium-210, that this is what happens to those who betray us and Mother Russia." 
"Reader comment on: The Specter That Haunts the Death of Litvinenko in response to reader comment: Goldfarb and Litvinenko : Submitted by Illia, Mar 24, 2008 09:55 : Alex Goldfarb graduated from Moscow Kurchatov institute of Atomic Energy -radiobiology (1969-75) and from Weizman Institute in Israel (1975-80 ) in both places the fatal poisoning of polonium did happen. Litvinenko had visible signs of radiation syndrome from November 10th. How they been missed ? It is unexcusible" 
"Boris Berezovsky's lawyer is Alexander Goldfarb. Goldfarb helped Berezovsky secure asylum in the UK. Goldfarb is a Russian dissident who now holds American citizenship.Goldfarb was also a close friend of Litvinenko. Litvinenko's death bed accusation that Putin was being his killer was publicly read out by Goldfarb in a recent BBC broadast. Goldfarb claims that the document was dictated to him by Alexander Litvinenko. Now, tell me again who killed Alexander Litvinenko." 
Articles and resources
- Wikipedia Alexander Goldfarb microbiologist
- Litvinenko Justice Foundation Alexander Goldfarb profile
- GoodReads Books by Alexander Goldfarb
- Russian Academics Alex Goldfarb
- Charlie Rose interviews Alexander Goldfarb interview
- New York Times "David Goldfarb, Geneticist, 71; Won Battle to Leave Soviet Union"
- Oxford Journals Science paper
- Nature Letters Science letter
- Charlie Rose interviews "A conversation with Marina Litvinenko and Alex Goldfarb"
- Kommersant Alexander Litvinenko
- Strata Sphere discussion on the poisoning
- Answer Questions Alexander Litvinenko poisoning
- Jewish Russian Telegraph "Pat Buchanan: Who framed Vladimir Putin?"
- New York Sun discussion on Litvinenko affair
- Tangram Litvinenko affair
- NeoCon Europe Alex Goldfarb