AmericanTowns.com is a publicly owned web space for communities to share information regarding people, places or local events aimed to bring "neighborhoods together." It was founded in 1999 in Pleasentville, New York after an incident occurred involving a local school bond issue that was narrowly defeated and upset the community. A local committee of 160 needed to evaluate all the alternatives to this issue and present their findings in a short period of time. They created a website where the committee could share their progress, solicit opinions, and create its final report and submit it under the public eye.. It is now headquartered in Fairfield, Connecticut.
In 2010, revenue per 1000 page views (RPM) for AmericanTowns.com grew to $20 RPM.
Ties to Pete Peterson's "Fix the Debt"
The Campaign to Fix the Debt is the latest incarnation of a decades-long effort by former Nixon man turned Wall Street billionaire Pete Peterson to slash earned benefit programs such as Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid under the guise of fixing the nation's "debt problem."
This article is part of the Center for Media and Democracy's investigation of Pete Peterson's Campaign to "Fix the Debt." Please visit our main SourceWatch page on Fix the Debt.
|About Fix the Debt|
The Campaign to Fix the Debt is the latest incarnation of a decades-long effort by former Nixon man turned Wall Street billionaire Pete Peterson to slash earned benefit programs such as Social Security and Medicare under the guise of fixing the nation's "debt problem." Through a special report and new interactive wiki resource, the Center for Media and Democracy -- in partnership with the Nation magazine -- exposes the funding, the leaders, the partner groups, and the phony state "chapters" of this astroturf supergroup. Learn more at PetersonPyramid.org and in the Nation magazine.
Board of Directors
As of February 2013:
- Jim Maglione, Co-President, Community
- Ed Panian, Co-President, Technology
- Mark Wratten, Chief Technology Officer
- Bekim Sejdic, Community Director
43 Ruane Street
Fairfield, Connecticut 06824
Resources and articles
Featured SourceWatch Articles on Fix the Debt
- Fix the Debt Portal Page
- Fix the Debt's Leadership
- Fix the Debt's Partner Groups
- Fix the Debt's State Chapters
- Fix the Debt's Lobbyists
- Fix the Debt's Parent Group
- Fix the Debt's Corporations
- Pete Peterson
- Peter G. Peterson Foundation
- America Speaks
- Simpson-Bowles Commission
- Erskine Bowles
- Alan Simpson
- Social Security
- "History", American Towns, Accessed Feb. 14, 2013.
- "AmericanTowns Reports Tripling of Revenues in 2010, as Traffic and CPM's Continue to Surge", PR Web, Feb. 24, 2011.
- "Contact" AmericanTowns Accessed Feb. 14, 2013