Atakaş power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
Atakaş power station is a proposed 660-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Hatay province, Turkey.
The map below shows the location of İskenderun 2nd Organized Industrial Zone (OSB), the location where the plant would be built near Azganlık village, İskenderun district, Hatay province. Tosyalı İskenderun power station would also be located in the same industrial zone.
Background on Plant
In February 2013, Atakaş Elektrik Enerjisi Üretim A.Ş. (a subsidiary of the Atakaş Group) announced that it would be applying to build a 660-MW, $300-million coal-fired power plant in the Second Organized Industrial Zone of İskenderun, in the southern Turkish province of Hatay. The proposal is currently under consideration by electricity regulators. Local reactions have already been negative, with allegations that Atakaş had deceived local regulators.
The EIA was submitted in October 2013. The project received environmental clearance in 2015, but has yet to receive a long term license. With no further progress in over two years, it appears as of June 2018 to be shelved.
Court cases against the pre-licence
13 organizations are suing for the cancellation of the pre-license, including environmental associations, the Adana Medical Chamber and the Adana Bar Association. The 12th Ankara Administrative Court initially refused to consider the case but in 2018 was ordered to do so by a higher court.
- Sponsor: Atakaş Elektrik Enerjisi Üretim A.Ş.
- Parent company: Atakaş Group
- Location: İskenderun 2nd Organized Industrial Zone (OSB), Azganlık village, İskenderun district, Hatay province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 36.69710, 36.20420 (approximate)
- Status: Shelved
- Detailed status: Environmental clearance and prelicence obtained but being challenged in court
- Gross capacity: 660 MW
- Projected in service: TBD
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Takke düştü kel göründü, Demokrat İskenderun, Feb. 12, 2013.
- Yilmaz, Erdal. Termik santralleri 3 liyelim beyler, İskenderun Körfez Gazetesi, Feb. 8, 2013.
- "Hatay İli, İskenderun İlçesi sınırları içinde Atakaş Elektrik Enerjisi Üretim A.Ş. tarafından yapılması planlanan “Atakaş Termik Santrali Entegre (Endüstriyel Atık (Kül)) Depolama Alanı" projesi," csb.gov.tr, Aug 1, 2014
- "ATAKAŞ'a Termik Santral için olumlu ÇED Raporu," antakyagazetesi.com, Jan. 15, 2015
- Yerel mahkemenin İskenderun’daki termik için verdiği ‘Ön lisansa dava açılamaz’ kararı reddedildi, Demokrat İskenderun, Feb. 28, 2018.