Tobacco industry involvement in Austria
A Philip Morris matrix/chart lists "to-do" type tasks for the company to address secondhand smoke issues in Europe. Tasks listed include "Restore Smoker Confidence," "Reverse Health Perception," "Establish/Maintain/Exploit Smoker Clubs," "Resist Smoking Restriction" and others. Check boxes are provided for the countries of Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, Switzerland, Saudi, Kuwait GCC [Gulf Council Countries], Turkey, Finland, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark.
- Austria's public broadcaster, Oesterreichischer Rundfunk (ORF), has long-dominated the airwaves. Lately, it has faced growing competition for audiences from private broadcasters, particularly in Vienna. Private broadcasting in Austria is a relatively recent phenomenon.
- Cable or satellite are available in most Austrian homes and are often used to watch German stations, some of which tailor their output for the Austrian audience.
- Alfred Gusenbauer, Chancellor, leads coalition government of centre-left Social Democrats (SPO) and the conservative People's Party
- Heinz Fischer, President, a mostly ceremonial position
- "Austrian rivals in coalition deal", BBC, January 8, 2007.
- Timeline: Austria, BBC, accessed February 2008.