|HELP CMD SHINE A LIGHT ON CORRUPTION!|
Thanks to a $50,000 challenge grant, your gift will be matched 1-to-1, so every dollar you give today will go twice as far!
Bailey Mine is an underground operation in Claysville, PA, owned by Consol Energy. In a 2007 media release CONSOL Energy announced that it had reached an agreement with Santee Cooper "to supply approximately 6.5 million tons for the 2007-2011 timeframe. The coal is expected to be shipped from CONSOL Energy's Bailey Mine to Santee Cooper's new Cross #3 and Cross #4 units that are based in South Carolina South Carolina."
- MSHA ID: 3607230
- Owner: Consol Pennsylvania Coal Company
- Parent company: Consol Energy
- Location: Claysville, Pennsylvania
- GPS coordinates: 39.91 N, 80.47 W
- Production: 9,827,946 short tons
- Type of coal: Bituminous
- Mine type: Underground
- Equipment: Longwall, Continuous Mining
- Number of employees: 455
In December 2012, Pennsylvania’s Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) sent a letter to Consol Energy stating its longwall mining operations in the state had irreparably damaged six streams. The DEP called further remediation attempts “futile,” and demanded the company compensate “for the loss of Commonwealth resources."
All six streams had suffered “flow loss” from Consol’s Bailey Mine, and In 2005, the Ryerson State Park lost its 62-acre Duke Lake when its dam cracked after a longwall machine had moved beneath the park. In April 2013, the DEP announced a multi-million-dollar settlement with Consol to repair the dam and re-open the lake.
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Pennsylvania and coal
- Proposed coal mines
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- CONSOL Energy, "CONSOL Energy Signs Coal Deals with Scrubbed Utilities in Midwest and Southeast", Media Release, September 7, 2007.
- Kristen Lombardi, "New scrutiny of 'longwall' mining finds damage in Pennsylvania streams," CPI, June 21, 2013.
- "Major U.S. Coal Mines," Energy Information Administration