Barapukuria Ashuganj power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Bangladesh and coal|
The Barapukuria Ashuganj power station is a 1,320-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station proposed by Ashuganj Power Station Company for Dinajpur, Bangladesh.
The plant is different from the nearby Barapukuria Coal Power Plant, owned by the Bangladesh Power Development Board.
The undated satellite photo below shows the location of the underground Barapukuria coal mine in Dinajpur, the proposed location for the Barapukuria power station.
In October 2014 it was reported that state-owned Ashuganj Power Station Company planned to set up a 1,320MW coal-based power plant at the mouth of Barapukuria coal mine in Dinajpur. The plant is planned for the northern part of Barapukuria. Construction of the plant would require at least five years.
In September 2016, the Energy and Mineral Resources division secretary Nazimuddin Chowdhury announced, "We are giving up open-pit mining in Barapukuria." The decision came as a result of "high risk for open-pit mining given the potential vulnerability of the vast arable lands in the North Bengal that produces a large portion of the country's granaries," according to AKM Shamsuddin, a former official of state-owned Petrobangla. According to reports, the decision to abandon the open-pit option would hamper further power plant development, since underground mining also has feasibility problems. It appears that the decision would interfere, at least for the time being, with plans to pursue the Barapukuria Ashuganj power station.
- Sponsor: Ashuganj Power Station Company
- Parent company:
- Location: Dinajpur district, Rajshahi state, Bangladesh
- Coordinates: 25.5481721, 88.9592171 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross Capacity: 1,320 MW
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Coal Source: Barapukuria coal mine
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Aminur Rahman Rasel, "Now 1,320MW coal power plant planned for Barapukuria," Dhaka Tribune, October 12, 2014
- "Govt to extract coal under open cut mining at Barapukuria - See more at: http://www.observerbd.com/2015/01/06/64933.php#sthash.i0SUoARx.dpuf," The Daily Observer, 6 January 2015
- "Government backtracks on open-pit mining in Barapukuria," Energy Bangla, September 23, 2016