Barmer Lignite Mining Company
Barmer Lignite Mining Company is a joint venture established by Raj West Power (49%), a subsidiary of JSW Energy, and Rajasthan State Minerals and Mining (51%). Barmer Lignite Mining Company has been established to operate a lignite mine to supply the proposed 1080 megawatt coal-fired Jallipa Kapurdi power station. The partially commissioned power station is scheduled to have 3ight 135MW units in Stage 1 with approval being sought for a further two 135 MW units.
On its website, JSEW states that "the major part of the land required for the power project has already been purchased and the site activities have commenced. The first unit of the proposed eight units is slated to be synchronized in October 2008 and the subsequent units will be synchronized every two months thereafter. The company is in the advanced stages of finalizing supply of major equipment like boiler, TG etc. The water required for the project will be brought from Indira Gandhi National Project (IGNP) for which water supply agreement has also been signed."
Coal supply for the power station
On its website states that the company was formed to mine "two contiguous blocks viz Kapurdi and Jalipa in the district of Barmer ... Jalipa and Kapurdi Lignite Mining blocks are situated within 20 kms north of Barmer Town on NH-15 and contain the estimated insitu geological reserve of about 466 million tonnes of lignite."
In a January 2012 investor presentation JSW Energy referred to the two coal blocks being developed as two separate mines, which it refers to as Jalipa mine and Kapurdi mine. In the presentation JSW Energy stated that lignite production had commenced at the Kapurdi mine. While the company stated that environmental clearance for the project had been received from the Ministry for Environment and Forests, it stated that land acquisition was "under progress".
- Sunil Arora, Chairman of BLMC and Principal Secretary to the Government of Rajasthan, Department of Industries
- Sanjay Sagar, Managing Director of BLMC and President Project Development , JSW Energy Ltd.
- Govind Sharma, Director of BLMC and Principal Secretary to the Government of Rajasthan, Department of Mines & Petroleum
- Naresh Pal Gangwar, Director of BLMCand Secretary to the Government of Rajasthan, Department of Energy
- Ajitabh Sharma, Director of BLMC and Managing Director, Rajasthan State Mines & Minerals Ltd.
- Lalit Kumar Gupta Director of BLMC and Jt. MD & CEO JSW Energy Ltd.
- Pramod Menon, Director of BLMC and Chief Financial Officer, JSW Energy Ltd.
308-311, Geetanjali Tower,
Bombay Walonka Bagh,
Jaipur – 302006
Rajasthan – India
Resources and articles
Related SourceWatch articles
- JSW Energy, "Energising India", Investor presentation, January 2012, page 24. (Pdf)
- JSW, "Raj West Power", JSW website, accessed November 2011.
- Rajasthan State Minerals and Mining, "Barmer Lignite Mining Company Limited", Rajasthan State Minerals and Mining website, accessed January 2012.
- JSW Energy, "Energising India", Investor presentation, January 2012, page 27. (Pdf)